Wake from sleep - black screen w/lines

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macDonalds, Mar 15, 2009.

1. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I bought the base Macbook Pro last weekend. No problems to speak of until earlier today - two separate instances of waking the computer from sleep led to a black screen with about 30 or so multi colored lines on the top of my screen. The machine was unresponsive and the only way to fix was a hard reboot.

I recently maxed out the ram to 4 gig (Friday). I have a feeling it might be related. Does this issue sound familiar to anyone? Did I not the seat the ram good enough (it showing 4 gigs properly)? Something else loose perhaps? Or maybe it's totally unrelated?

2. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

I found this one the Apple support forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1337981&tstart=0

Someone responded with:

"On my macbook pro this is almost always the result of letting the computer sleep when the battery is very low. Once it tells me I am on reserve power, if I don't plug in before it sleeps, it does not want to wake up. My rule of thumb with laptops is that you don't let them sleep for long periods of time, unless they are plugged into power. That's just my experience."

That's interesting because this weekend was the first time that I had it sleeping while on battery. When I opened it today it was very low (red), so I wonder if this has anything to do with my recent issues.