Wake from Sleep Issue (After Firmware Update)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hatchet, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Hatchet macrumors regular

Before I purchased my Mac Pro on friday, I made sure to read these forums to make myself aware to some problems that could occur. When I got home, I made sure to do all the software updates and the Mac Pro is completely up to date, including the latest update from yesterday.

However, this morning when I went to wake up my Mac Pro I couldn't get it to work so I had to do a hard restart.

Should this be a concern for me? I put it back into sleep mode again and it woke up fine.. Could this have been a fluke?

This is my first mac so forgive me if this is normal.

2. krye macrumors 68000

krye

What's weird with mine is the longer it's asleep, the longer it appears to take to wake up. Usually it's 20-30 seconds with the fans going full-bore, but if it's been asleep for a few hours, it takes like a minute to wake up and the fans go full-bore too.

3. fsron macrumors member

Mine worked great until I applied all the updates, then it wouldn't go to sleep on its own. I unplugged everthing, inclucing the power cord to reset. It has worked fine since.

4. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I've had a terrible history with this MacPro, I'm on my second 2.8 after the first one had mad issues. I was having the "when woken, it restarts" problem. But now, everything is working fine. It could of be just a fluke, but mess around with it, when did you purchase? After 14 days, it'll be hard to exchange the machine for a new one.

5. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Mine restarts after it goes to sleep as well. I also had problems starting the machine. I got just a grey screen and had to try 5-6 times before it started.

Now it starts ok, but still restarts after sleep. Had it for 30 days.

Not sure what to do. We have used it to edit 3 TV programs and have one left to do, so we have had no time to try to return it to shop

6. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I thought the firmware update fixed this. Have all of you applied that firmware update? I returned my 2.8 for the same problem and have been waiting for a fix. I was just about to go out and pick up a new one because I heard the firmware update fixed it but now I am not so sure.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I set my OS X desktops to hibernate instead of sleep, and I'm quite used to them hanging sometimes on resume. I'm not sure if it's recently increased with the new Pros, but I've had it a few times, including this morning.

I save everything anyway so no biggie, but it's deja vu - back to Windows XP circa 2003. Never ever had it in Vista, even with NVidia cards.

As for the cause, if you have the 8800 and/or the FX5600 as I do I would not be at all surprised if it is down to NVidia's drivers.

8. designer22 macrumors member

For what it's worth, I had the restart on wake issue for some time. I had purchased my third-party memory at a well-known mac supplier. Only when I removed that memory and replaced it with another well-known mac supplier's memory did the problem cease, not to return.

I think some of the third-party memory that claims to be "Apple approved" is just not up to snuff, or else Apple's specs for Pro memory to third-party suppliers was not strict enough.

9. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I have no 3rd party RAM by the way. How do I apply the firmware update?
    My MP is situated in a place where there is no internet connection. I do have it at home though

10. Trainwreck707 macrumors member

Do the PRAM and SMC reset and make sure the firmware is updated. One of those definitely did the trick. I, as well as a few others I have talked to, had severe sleep/restart problems before applying these steps. None of us have had a single problem since.

Be careful about bringing your MacPro in for service. If the technician can't get your computer to repeat the problems you're having, you will be charged for their labor regardless of your warranty or Apple Care.