Wake from sleep problems: mouse cursor disappears; gray background

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by pandamonium54, Jun 4, 2012.

1. pandamonium54 macrumors newbie

I have not found anything that can reliably reproduce these problems. But they both happen more than once a week each.

My mid-2010 MBP is running 10.7.4. It lives in a hengedock connected to an external display over HDMI and external keyboard via USB. The keyboard has a USB hub, which is where my mouse's wireless receiver is connected.

Most of the time, waking from sleep isn't a problem. But sometimes my background is all gray and the only way to bring it back is the "killall Dock" terminal command. (Changing spaces doesn't do anything). I can live with this. It's a little annoying, but I can live with it.

My big problem is when my mouse cursor disappears. The mouse still tracks. If I click and drag on the desktop I can use the selection box to figure out where the cursor is. But if I have multiple tabs open in Google Chrome, I don't have a great way of saving those tabs. I've tried switching spaces, opening the mouse preferences, undocking then using the trackpad, and running "killall Dock". None of these solutions brings back my mouse cursor. The only solution is a reboot. Which is really obnoxious. Any ideas? Am I the only one?

2. Izzard macrumors newbie

Izzard

Hold Ctrl and roll the mouse wheel to zoom in a bit and then back out. This will make the cursor reappear.

(You might need to turn the option on first, in System Preferences / Accessibility / Zoom / "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom:" (^ Control))