Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tran.man48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Hey everyone,
I have a mid-2012 cMBP 13" base model with 16GB ram. Recently, when waking from sleep for an extended period of time (more 4-5 hours), I've noticed that when the login screen appears, there is a transparent grey overlay with a progress bar. The machine is slow to respond, and the hard disk will grind during this time. It seems like the ram contents are being restored from the hard disk. It's kinda annoying to have to wait for the machine to respond before logging in.
Is this normal behavior? I've only noticed it after recently installing the system update released a few days ago.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's safe sleep, or hibernation as some may call it. Its restoring the contents of ram that was saved to the hard drive as it wakes itself up for operation.

sv1223

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I am having the exact same problem with my Mid 2012 13" MBP too. Any ideas of how to fix this? It never did this before.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Hey everyone,
I have a mid-2012 cMBP 13" base model with 16GB ram. Recently, when waking from sleep for an extended period of time (more 4-5 hours), I've noticed that when the login screen appears, there is a transparent grey overlay with a progress bar.

A lot of threads about this already.... the "extended period" is exactly 70 minutes by default.

What you can do is increase that to 24 hours, or maybe even longer.

sudo -a pmset standbydelay 86400

That sets it to 86400 seconds or 24 hours. So that means your system will not go into standby until it's been asleep for a full day.

In a related issue, the "hibernatemode" switch seems to be broken in the latest update, and on the 13" retina macs from the factory.

My older macs will not go into standby mode until the battery runs out! I guess Apple wants to increase the "standby" battery life of their notebooks by putting them to sleep sooner? It makes sense, given their current direction of not ever needing to power off their devices.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I guess it makes more sense for SSD products. As I have observed with my rMBP, I like the why Apple has figured this out. In hibernation or whatever it is called--and on battery power, it takes a few seconds for the system to be restored so you can log in from sleep. When on AC power, there is no delay no matter how long. That makes perfect sense to me and seems a great way to prolong battery power. Works for me.

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
UK
Hey everyone,
I have a mid-2012 cMBP 13" base model with 16GB ram. Recently, when waking from sleep for an extended period of time (more 4-5 hours), I've noticed that when the login screen appears, there is a transparent grey overlay with a progress bar. The machine is slow to respond, and the hard disk will grind during this time. It seems like the ram contents are being restored from the hard disk. It's kinda annoying to have to wait for the machine to respond before logging in.
Is this normal behavior? I've only noticed it after recently installing the system update released a few days ago.

Same happening for me, Apple said they have not heard of this problem before, I have not seen it before the update either. It is a pain because my mac boots from shut down quicker than it comes alive form this 'SafeSleep or Hibernate'

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Is not a problem, is a feature people. U guys get spooked by every little thing.

Follow what CausticPuppy says. Ur good. Move on.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Yes, several threads about this, I have the same issue on my 13" mid-2012 cMBP.

It almost seems that the MBP should have been hibernating after 70 minutes all along, but wasn't, and this update has "fixed" that.

CausticPuppy's post is the way to go - simply set the timeout to a time that more suits your requirements, and all is well.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Hey Guys,

Early 2011 MBP Pro 13" with a fresh install of Mountain Lion.

Here is my pmset -g

Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standbydelay 4200
standby 0
womp 0
halfdim 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
sms 1
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 0
sleep 0
hibernatemode 3
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 15
acwake 0
lidwake 1

Hibernate never engages - either on AC or battery. I use Deep Sleep (a third party app) now to put it into this mode manually at night, but can someone let me know if I am doing something wrong?

The setting seems to be correct for 70 minutes (which I will end up changing if it ever actually starts working).

Is this the issue that CausticPuppy is saying has recently come up?

Thanks,
R

Last edited:

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Minor question...

I used sudu pmset -b standby 1 so that the system would only hibernate when on battery power.

Now, when on AC, I see this with pmset -g;

Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standbydelay 10800
standby 0
womp 0
halfdim 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
sms 1
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 0
sleep 0 (sleep prevented by )
hibernatemode 3
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 15
acwake 0
lidwake 1

What does the (sleep prevented by) mean on the sleep line?

When on AC in the past (see post above), this text was not there... any ideas why it is there now?

Also, when on battery, the standby 1 is correctly shown.

Thanks,
R

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.