Wake Mac through Internet...?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whyrichard, May 30, 2010.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

How can one wake an '09 mac pro through the internet, not just the local network?

Previously, i had an old mac always on, and had a script to wake the mac pro when i emailed it "wake". but i don't have that other mac any longer...

I understand that the new airport extreme may be able to do it? How exactly?
    Through the internet?

thanks,

r.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Go to iTunes and search wake on LAN. There are two apps, the one with the black icon is better according to reviews and will wake your MP over the net.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

seems like the mac pro needs to be ethernet connected to the router...

can avoid? or can hardwire to the airport express near my mac pro? (i have an older extreme hooked up to the modem, and an airport express for streaming itunes...)

thanks,
    r.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

or will i need the new airport extreme to pull it off via wifi?

r.

5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

anyone?

echo echo...

thanks,
    r.

6. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

7. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i setup an account at DynDNS.com that is "host with ip address"... i entered that host name in Inet WOL unnder "hosts" (ie. xxxxx.inet.com)
    port for wol: 9

port for sleep/shutdown: 22

and it doesn't work...

what am i missing?

thanks,
    r.

8. tbertran macrumors newbie

DynDNS will allow you to use a personalized URL that points to your router's IP address. You only need to use DynDNS if the IP address assigned by your ISP is NOT static (in other words, your IP address can and does change without notice).
    But a DynDNS account won't do you any good if you don't install the client on your mac (I didn't read anything in your post about that). It runs in the background and updates DynDNS with your IP address whenever it changes.

Once that's done, you need to map the appropriate ports on your router to point to your mac's local IP address (not the one assigned by your ISP, the one assigned to your mac by your router, e.g. 10.0.1.??).
    You mention port 9 (typical port for WOL) and port 22 (that's really SSH so I assume they simply issue the sleep command via a secured shell).
    Another technical hurdle would be if your mac is not set up to use a static IP address on your network... Actually fairly easy to do in Airport Utility.

Good luck.