Wake on demand with iPhone over 3g with non apple router?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JaQbyte, Oct 26, 2009.

1. JaQbyte macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just found this incredible remote app called remotetap for my iphone.
    I would like to wake up my MBP from my iphone over 3g to use remotetap.

Apple tells us for wake on demand we need a newer airport (or TC). So I did not try it with my wifi at home, because I have a different router (firmware: DD-WRT v23 sp2). Today my MBP was asleep. I tried to connect via remotetap over wifi; it did not work because remotetap is only able to use WOL (ethernet). I then accidentally pressed the "remote" app from apple.

!!! it woke my MBP up !!!

I just checked, it works every time! So no need for an Airport station? is this known behavior with non apple Wifi stations? Can someone confirm?

conclusion: it should (with port forwarding) be possible to use this feature to wake up my MBP remotely over 3g from my iphone?

setup: MBP early 2008 (10.6.1), iPhone 3gs (3.1.2), Siemens Router with DD-WRT v23 sp2

thanks and please test it.

2. JaQbyte thread starter macrumors newbie

yes!

Hi again,

unfortunately no answer, so I provide the answer myself (after some time trying). (maybe its useful to someone)

I did it! Wake over wifi!:D

Wake on demand (WOD) or Wake over Internet or Wake over Wifi (Wowlan) or Wake over lan (WOL) works over wifi with non apple router!!!

now I am able to remotely wake up my MBP via 3G from my iphone, see my screen, drag and drop, shut down, etc.

I use a Router with DD-WRT v23 SP2 with the setup described here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL

thanks

3. macamok macrumors newbie

??? :d

Hey

Did you managed to wake your mac with "wake on wireless" via your iphone over 3g?

Or had your mac a internet cable in et when you wake it over 3g?

sorry about my bad English.. :rolleyes:

4. JaQbyte thread starter macrumors newbie

over internet

Hi,

yes I can wake up my MBP via internet (from my iPhone via 3G). MBP is connected via wifi and has a fixed IP. I also have a dyndnds IP forwarding.

Initially it worked perfectly, even after 6h of sleep. Now something has changed, and my router forgets that there is a computer after about 1h.

But I have not tried to tweak it again (no time at the moment)

5. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Any luck?

I am trying to figure out how to wake my desktop from the internet, the desktop residing on an open public network.

I am trying to figure out how to do it with a old powerbook hooked up to it via ethernet, the powerbook being on all the time and perhaps waiting for an email from me to start some sort of script... but i have no leads yet...

r.

6. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

I'm using IWOL to wake up my MBP over 3g, with my MBP using a reserved I.P on a 3 year old netgear wireless router.

Set up a port forwarding exception in my routers firewall that only sends to said reserved I.P and its worked very well so far.

Use it in conjunction with AirVideo + 3G unrestrictor...very cool!

7. whyrichard macrumors 68000

this is my somewhat silly roun-about way i've accomplished this....

...i have an old, low wattage powerbook on all the time. I use "wakeonlan" to wake the mac pro. I wrote a script that initiates the waking of the mac pro. i created a new mail account that checks for mail every minute. in mail i wrote a rule that goes: when i recieve an email from xxxxx, with the subject 'wake', run this script".

so to wake my mac pro from afar, without having access to the router, i just send an email to the minimac with the subject 'wake', it runs the script to wakeonlan.

silly and roudabout right? but it works!

r.