Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaQbyte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Hi,

I just found this incredible remote app called remotetap for my iphone.
I would like to wake up my MBP from my iphone over 3g to use remotetap.

Apple tells us for wake on demand we need a newer airport (or TC). So I did not try it with my wifi at home, because I have a different router (firmware: DD-WRT v23 sp2). Today my MBP was asleep. I tried to connect via remotetap over wifi; it did not work because remotetap is only able to use WOL (ethernet). I then accidentally pressed the "remote" app from apple.

!!! it woke my MBP up !!!

I just checked, it works every time! So no need for an Airport station? is this known behavior with non apple Wifi stations? Can someone confirm?

conclusion: it should (with port forwarding) be possible to use this feature to wake up my MBP remotely over 3g from my iphone?

setup: MBP early 2008 (10.6.1), iPhone 3gs (3.1.2), Siemens Router with DD-WRT v23 sp2

thanks and please test it.

JaQbyte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
yes!

Hi again,

unfortunately no answer, so I provide the answer myself (after some time trying). (maybe its useful to someone)

I did it! Wake over wifi!:D

Wake on demand (WOD) or Wake over Internet or Wake over Wifi (Wowlan) or Wake over lan (WOL) works over wifi with non apple router!!!

now I am able to remotely wake up my MBP via 3G from my iphone, see my screen, drag and drop, shut down, etc.

I use a Router with DD-WRT v23 SP2 with the setup described here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL

thanks

macamok

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
??? :d

Hey

Did you managed to wake your mac with "wake on wireless" via your iphone over 3g?

Or had your mac a internet cable in et when you wake it over 3g?

sorry about my bad English.. :rolleyes:

JaQbyte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
over internet

Hi,

yes I can wake up my MBP via internet (from my iPhone via 3G). MBP is connected via wifi and has a fixed IP. I also have a dyndnds IP forwarding.

Initially it worked perfectly, even after 6h of sleep. Now something has changed, and my router forgets that there is a computer after about 1h.

But I have not tried to tweak it again (no time at the moment)

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
Any luck?

I am trying to figure out how to wake my desktop from the internet, the desktop residing on an open public network.

I am trying to figure out how to do it with a old powerbook hooked up to it via ethernet, the powerbook being on all the time and perhaps waiting for an email from me to start some sort of script... but i have no leads yet...

r.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
I'm using IWOL to wake up my MBP over 3g, with my MBP using a reserved I.P on a 3 year old netgear wireless router.

Set up a port forwarding exception in my routers firewall that only sends to said reserved I.P and its worked very well so far.

Use it in conjunction with AirVideo + 3G unrestrictor...very cool!

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
this is my somewhat silly roun-about way i've accomplished this....

...i have an old, low wattage powerbook on all the time. I use "wakeonlan" to wake the mac pro. I wrote a script that initiates the waking of the mac pro. i created a new mail account that checks for mail every minute. in mail i wrote a rule that goes: when i recieve an email from xxxxx, with the subject 'wake', run this script".

so to wake my mac pro from afar, without having access to the router, i just send an email to the minimac with the subject 'wake', it runs the script to wakeonlan.

silly and roudabout right? but it works!

r.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.