Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Hi all -

I've been having a lot of trouble getting a wake on lan trigger program that will work over the internet. My Macs and my home network are set up correctly for this, as I manage to wake them up from the office all the time using software for Windows (magicpacket.free.fr). So my router and everything is good to go - from a windows PC I can wake up my G5 at home no matter where I am.

For OS X I've tried about 10 different WOL programs and none of them have an internet option - they all just wake the computer up if it is on the LAN. I've read articles about WOL and they all just talk about waking it up on the LAN as well. If I just knew what this software I'm using at the office did that was different, I could just write a script to duplicate it.

...if I can't find a solution I guess I can just use ethereal and see what it is doing directly, but that seems like a lot of work!

Any advice?

bug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
iWOL

...just an update - I now use iWOL for the iPhone. It works perfectly in all situations and has proper setup options for LAN or WAN. It is a pay product, but I recommend it.

I also found in a pinch I could use the online WOL services. ...still find it strange that there are so many OS X WOL products and none of them have a straight forward WAN setup. Anyway, issue solved thanks to the godly iphone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.