Wake On Lan (partially) not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Daniele Mnn, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Daniele Mnn macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I'm writing because I'm having some troubles waking my 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 13 from sleep using the wireless Wake On Lan (WoL) function.
    The Mac has the last software (10.11.5) and has a monitor, a mouse with some lights and an external hard disk attached. My router is not a Apple router but I don't think that's the problem.
    The situation is this: I put the Mac to sleep, the external monitor goes to standby (orange led), the mouse's lights turns off and the external hard disk spins down. I then send the magic packet using an app called Fing and my mac doesn't wake, nothing appears on both the Mac and the monitor's screen. What happens is this: the monitor's status led goes from orange to green like it's going to exit from sleep but after a couple of seconds it goes back to orange, the mouse's lights turn on and the external hard disk starts to spin. So the magic packet has reached my Mac or these peripherals wouldn't receive the inputs to turn themselves on, but the Mac doesn't seem to wake up.

Does anyone have any idea of what is going on? Thank you very much for the possible answers!
    If more details are needed please ask, I will try to be as clear as possible.

2. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

These things just don't work, it's Apple. You should bring this to the OS thread