Wake on Lan--solution

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Itsallkosher, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Itsallkosher macrumors newbie

hi everyone. I've read about this in a few threads, but it's always ignored or a different situation. Hopefully I can put the nail in the coffin now:

I have an old MacBook I want to use as a server. It's plugged into Ethernet and enabled to wake for network access. When the computer is open and asleep, I can send a magic packet and wake it up. Perfect. I want to be able to do the same thing with the lid closed. Solutions? It is set to sleep after 20 minutes of not being used which is what I want because it doesn't need to be running 24/7--that's the beauty of WOL. Surely there is a way to make the MacBook ignore a closed lid or make it think it's always open. Anybody have any success? Thanks!

2. Itsallkosher thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured out a solution to this problem. Just download InsomniaX. Select the feature to not put the computer to sleep when you close the computer. THEN, you can go ahead and manually set the computer to sleep after a certain interval, and the magic packet will wake the computer even though the lid is closed. Again, you can still set your computer to sleep--which is not the intention of the app, but it works great that way.