Wake on network activity - only Extreme or TC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Josh125, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

According to Apple, wake on network activity (wireless) only works with their routers. I have not found anything posted that suggest otherwise, however thought I would ask you guys before I spend the money on the extreme.

Thanks

2. nwroberts macrumors member

I am sorry I don't exactly understand what you are asking/saying. WOL will work with any router that is enabled to allow it to work. Personally I would recommend other brands of routers over the Airport (Extreme). Regardless of what router you buy, just make sure that somewhere it says, WOL or Wake On LAN approved or something along those lines.

3. Josh125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Josh125

Thanks, however I'm looking for wake on activity as Apple alls it or wake on wireless. WOL (LAN) is supported by my current router, however Apple says you have to use theirs for Wake on Wireless and I'm trying to verify that.

I assume it has something to do with their system being able to send our the Bonjour signal while others can't...but I"m not sure.

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Wake on LAN and Wake on Wireless are two different things. If your router supports Wake on LAN, that is meaningless about its support for Wake on Wireless. Industry support for Wake on Wireless is very bad. It would not surprise me at all if only the Apple router does it for Apple products.

5. lexvo macrumors 65816

A few months ago I was facing the same problem. After extensive research on the internet, I decided to bite the bullet and bought an Airport Extreme.

So far, everything works perfect and I'm quite happy with the Extreme. An extra advantage for me was that I could upgrade my wireless network to WiFi-N.

6. Josh125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Josh125

Thanks that is what I was looking for, seems you are in the same boat. My only issue is that I have no other reason to upgrade to the extreme. My current router does N and my printer is already wireless so I would just get wake on wireless, for 200 bucks. Still debating...thanks though for your input.