wake on wireless iMac 2008 with netgear WNR2000v3

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmgnyc, Dec 7, 2013.

1. jmgnyc macrumors newbie

I know there is a bunch of threads addressing *similar* issues, but I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer.

Question: can I setup my iMac 2008 such that I can wake it up via the internet (i.e. not on the same local network) via my WNR2000v3 router if the iMac is connected to the router only wirelessly (i.e. there is no ethernet cable attached to the iMac).

I´ve spent (wasted?) hours trying to set this up without success. So far I've tried doing it via the new Team Viewer 9 for Mac, which supposedly allows waking up another computer (maybe this has been a mistake? Do you recommend another program?). The router allows port forwarding, the iMac wireless system specs explicitly say that Wake on Wireless is supported. Also, yes, I've checked the option in energy saving allowing for wake for network access. Unfortunately most tutorials I've seen are either for Windows or the few ones for Mac require having a time capsule or an Apple TV, neither of which I own.

I'm not an engineer or a computer scientist, but I'm kind of competent in this kind of issues. So, not an expert but not completely amateur either. I think I've tried most of the most obvious things so some expert advice will be very welcomed.

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I'm not certain, but I believe the "Wake on Wireless" feature requires an Apple router, I think even an Airport Extreme Base Station or a Time Capsule (and not an Airport Express). I believe I saw an Apple knowldgebase article saying so, but don't have the link for it.

Now, if you hardwire the Mac to your router, the "regular" wake on LAN should work, I believe. I think the "wireless" part of the feature relies on a Bonjour server in the Apple router...

HTH

----------

Here's what I was thinking of... does this apply?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774?viewlocale=en_GB