Wake on Wireless, Wake on LAN....just work!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aced411, Dec 6, 2009.

1. aced411 macrumors 6502

Ok this issue has been plaguing me for months and I just can't resolve it. I have an iMac (early 2008, supports wake on wireless) with Snow Leopard basically providing all of our services like iTunes, files etc. After the blasted thing falls asleep, when I try to connect to it in Finder with my macbook it'll say "connection failed". If I go wake it up, everything will work fine.

I have an Airport Extreme (dual band). It'll show the machine available in finder while it's sleeping, I just can't wake it up. The option "Wake for Network Access" is selected on the Imac. Not sure why it won't wake up.

At first the iMac was connected via airport wireless. I tried connecting the ethernet port to a base station and disabling wireless instead but the same issue exists.

Thanks in advance for any help..

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. aced411 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really. Interesting info, but nothing that sheds light on my situation at the moment. I'm surprised more people aren't using this feature.....

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, this wake on wireless feature is new to me. System Profiler reports that your early 2008 iMac supports it? I have the same model, although I'm still running Leopard. If you can get it working I might be tempted to upgrade myself.