Wake Powerbook over network for printing

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cfhjag, Apr 25, 2014.

1. cfhjag, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

cfhjag macrumors member

Hello all,

Quick question. I have an old PB12" (hitting 10 years now...) still going and acting as my printing server. It works great and all, the only thing is that when it goes to sleep, I have to wake it up for printing. Not ideal...

So is there are way to WOL this machine? Simply want it to always be accessible for printing but still going into sleep mode when not used.

You get the idea.

Currently looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have the Wake for Ethernet access boxed checked. That's Wake-on-LAN.

3. Xandros macrumors regular

As far as I know Macs work with WOL out of the box. The only problem is you have to wake the computer up manually, you can't get it to work automatically, say when you press print. Doing it manually isn't much of a chore though; all you need to do is either have a program on the computer you're printing from to actually send the WOL pulse to wake the target computer up, or you could do what I do and use a router that has WOL built into the web interface.

I've used this method for years and it works well, and also makes it possible to wake any computer up on my network from any other computer without having to have an application installed on the computer I'm using. This is of course assuming you use a router and it supports WOL. Otherwise your only option is the application method.

4. micahgartman macrumors member

micahgartman