Wake up a networked Mac when needed by Time Machine or for printing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TortoiseAvenger, Feb 29, 2008.

1. TortoiseAvenger macrumors newbie

Basically, I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro, and I want to wirelessly back up my Macbook Pro via time machine by connecting the drive to the iMac, but when the iMac is asleep I can't do this. Also, I print via this iMac, and whenever the computer is asleep I have to all the way upstairs and jiggle the mouse, which is a huge pain in the donkey. Is there anyway to wake up the iMac when a print is being requested, or when Time machine wants to gain access to the drive? Obviously I can not let the computer go to sleep, but I'd rather not do this.

Thanks!

Tortoise

2. TJones macrumors regular

On the System Preferences -> Energy Saver page you have sliders for putting the computer to sleep that will go all the way to 'Never'.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Print can be done, although it's rather involved, via Wake-On-Lane. If you can find a way to get Time Machine to run a script before backup you could use that too.

For details on the printing check out this thread from the Programming forum...

4. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi!

You can also try using WakeOnLan to wake up the iMac.

/Rupert

5. TortoiseAvenger thread starter macrumors newbie

The wake on lan looks helpful and easy, but it's not automatic.... having the computer automatically turn on would be nice.... I guess I'll just have to settle for backups when someone is using the computer, which is frequent, or set it to sleep at certain times.

6. TJones macrumors regular

System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Schedule.