Wake up from sleep problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hlyi, Apr 21, 2019.

1. hlyi macrumors newbie

I acquired a cMP5,1 recently. Everything seems to work okay except there is a problem wake up from sleep: the power LED lights up, other than that nothing seems to work, no display, didn't response to "ping" from other computer. tried resetting NVRAM/SMC, it didn't help. Is this logic board problem or power supply problem? Thanks!

2. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Waking from sleep is a common symptom of PSU problems, but can be caused by the backplane (correct name of MP5,1 logic board) too. First step is to test a known working PSU.

3. hlyi thread starter macrumors newbie

@tsialex Thanks a lot for the feedback! Unfortunately, I couldn't locate anther cMP to swap PSU. Any other way or test could be done to determinate the PSU problem vs logic board problem?

4. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

If you have a logging multimeter/scope with memory, you can detected when the PSU fails to send power and mess with sleep, but it's a very time consuming job doing this way.

Diag lights on the backplane are not made for diagnosing a failing PSU, so it's useless for this problem. If you don't have the necessary equipment, I don't know of any definitive tests without exchanging parts with a working Mac Pro.

5. hlyi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips @tsialex!. Guess I need pull PSU out and look for bad cap then...