Wake up Issue with Early 2008 Mac Pro and Radeon 2600XT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LimaOhioJoe, Nov 10, 2009.

1. LimaOhioJoe macrumors newbie

Preamble: My Quad 2.8 Mac Pro (Snow Leopard) repeatedly would not wake up from sleep. Apple Care had me reset the PRAM and maybe a couple of other things..(heck it was a couple of days ago...) and then they scheduled a repair tech to swap out the Radeon 2600 video card today. I am pleased that fixed the problem....

My question: If I want to have a back up video card on hand from now on,
    please advise model. Other than normal word processing, surfing, emailing,I only do basic photo editing with Photoshop Elements, and will be copying my 35 mm slide collection, so I don't need any that fancy, I imagine....

This neophyte appreciates your input.....

2. akadmon macrumors 68020

I recently bought ATI 4870 from Apple for my 2006 MP and I'm very happy with it. It's a little pricey ($349) and probably more than you need today. Another less expensive option is the NVIDIA GT 120 ($149). Apple says that it requires the newest MP, but comments on the Apple Store website indicate that it will work on your 2008 MP. Personally, I'd get the 4870 if you plan on keeping your MP for at least a couple more years. Or look into modding a PC version of either the ATI 4870 or 4890. There is plenty of info on this forum to help you accomplish this. I went with the more expensive, but surefire Apple option because I'm just not the adventurous type.

3. justit macrumors 6502a

Had the same issue on my '08 with the 2600 as it behaved inconsistently from sleep and I thought for the longest that it was my LCD. I was within applecare so I heeved it to a'store and they replaced it. Since then no problems.
    It's not a bad card, it's quite, but in PS it's limited in openGL and I get a warning opening more than 7 windows. Akadmon is right about the 4870 or 4890 working. I recently bought a PC 4870.

4. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

thought i was the only one with this problem. what gives?

im out of apple care:mad:

5. pr-photo macrumors newbie

I've had the same issue recently system is with :apple: at the moment to diagnose the problem.

The :apple: centre reported that they have had a lot of the 2600s back recently.

I noticed on their system that the 2600XT that apple stocks now is a Version 2 perhaps some quality issues???