Wake up my HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msindt19, Jun 15, 2011.

1. msindt19 macrumors member

msindt19

Hey MacRumors,

I'm new here as well as to the Apple community, finally talked myself into a MacBook Pro. My current setup is my MBP hooked to my Sharp LC32D59U 32" LCD 720p HDTV via Monoprice's wonderful mini-display to HDMI adapter with keyboard and External hard drive going into a crummy USB hub (new Belkin A/C powered 7 port hub on the way).

My question is conerning my MBP to HDTV. When my MBP falls a sleep, a few minutes later my HDTV goes into sleep mode as well, is there any possible way that I can set it up so that when I move my mouse or wake up the computer to automatically send power and turn on the TV without having to manually power on the TV?

Thanks for any help.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're saying the TV turns itself off?

If that's the case, maybe disabling the sleep timer on it would work.

3. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

Yes the TV turns itself off after a few minutes of inactivity, which is great except I wish I could wake it up with the mouse/computer rather than turning on the TV separately.

I could just use Caffeine and change the sleep timer but I'd rather have the computer/tv sleep while I'm sleeping so I don't have an annoying glow from the screens keeping me up.

I was hoping that when I wake up, I could just wiggle the mouse and have the MBP and the TV turn on.

Its not a huge hassle, its just somewhat annoying.

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Maybe it's the TV's issue...have you tested it with another source? Have it display something else like a DVD player, then turn off the player until the TV sleeps, then turn on the player.

5. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

I've also been pondering that today. Once I get home I'll give that a try and see how the TV likes it.

I haven't done much playing around with the TV either so maybe there is a function that I can set for this...I'll check out the User Manual when I get home.

Thanks everyone for your input

6. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

No luck, tried it with my Xbox....also couldn't find the user manual so I guess I'll just have to man up and push the power button myself. Can't be as lazy as I want...

Thanks everyone for your replies