Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Hello... I wonder if is it possible making a Mini to work as a file/media server over wi-fi while allowing it to sleep during the idle time. In my tests, once it start sleeping, there's no way of making it wake up without clicking the mouse or typing on the keyboard.

Thanks in advance!

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Did you try the check box "wake for network access" under Energy Saver in System Preferences? That should work if any network connection is attempted through wifi.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
If I recall correctly there is a way to check to see if this is available on a particular machine in About This Mac. I was looking into it for VNC purposes. If you go to "apple">About>more info. It should be under one of the hardware listings.
I can't remember which.
Maybe this will help

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1770353/

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
If I recall correctly there is a way to check to see if this is available on a particular machine in About This Mac. I was looking into it for VNC purposes. If you go to "apple">About>more info. It should be under one of the hardware listings.
I can't remember which.
Maybe this will help

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1770353/

Yep... actually I was trying to get this working through the internet, that is: a request comes from WAN, then the router sends a package to the Mini, which wakes up to respond that request.

If I keep the Mini always on, this infrastructure work. I basically opened a ssh port visible in the internet, and the built-in VNC server visible only in the LAN (the reason is that I trust more on SSH than on VNC, but it can be a stupid assumption if OSX implementation encrypts VNC). So I establish a ssh tunnel to my Mini then I connect to its VNC server through this tunnel.

urbanmacUser

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I'm also looking to see if this is possible, but at the moment I cant even get WOL to work on a LAN.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I'm also looking to see if this is possible, but at the moment I cant even get WOL to work on a LAN.

I tried time and time again to get this to work with Mavericks and never could get it to consistently respond...this seems to be a low priority to Apple as they have never fixed this...though I hate to say this, this functionality works flawlessly on my Win7 machine!

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I tried time and time again to get this to work with Mavericks and never could get it to consistently respond...this seems to be a low priority to Apple as they have never fixed this...though I hate to say this, this functionality works flawlessly on my Win7 machine!

I downloaded an Android app which sends Wake-on-LAN magic packets. I tested it from LAN (Wi-Fi) and it worked just once, and it appearantly refuses to wake up after a deep sleep.

From WAN (internet), the Mini always refuses to wake up. I tried creating a port forwarding to LAN's broadcast IP, but the Mini doesn't wake up.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Count me as another one who can't seem to get the mini to wake up.

I used to have an app, Cloud VNC I think it was, that was able to do it from my iPhone. I didn't use it to remote into the mini, at least not often. But I was able to get it to wake up and then was able to use the media server app I was using at the time. It would wake it on the local LAN/WAN as well as remotely.

This was back in Snow Leopard days... perhaps Lion too.

As of now it won't wake. I even thought of using an unused panning webcam to physically move the mouse. It worked in testing lol.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.