Wakes me up!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Sep 15, 2007.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

This has always annoyed me.. Once in a while, my imac g5 will randomly awake out of sleep in the middle of the night.. it will completely wake me up because of the bright screen.. what is happening? Is it those updates? Is there any way to turn them off?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Firstly, check the Schedule settings in the Energy pane of System Preferences. Next check for any Bluetooth devices or other hardware attached to your machine and disconnect them to see if it continues waking randomly. Does it seem to happen at the same time each night? :)

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The schedule was off.. this is happening more frequently now.. i am not sure if it is every night or not... i have been kinda tired lately so even this giant bright light has not been able to wake me up:p.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My iMac C2D wakes up automatically at night, not just from sleep but even turns itself on! Power schedule is turned off too. :confused:

5. Kinkade macrumors member

When I had a wireless mouse that would happen. Dont know why. So I disconect it or plug in my wired mouse.

Also I know its not the best option, but you could always turn the computer off. Cant wake up then. If it turns on by itself then unplug it.

I know that sounds a little extreme, but if you need your sleep, what else are you to do?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It boots itself of its own accord? :confused:

It happens when the batteries are a little low, for me.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

The booting cold without the energy saver set to do that is pretty weird, but out of curiosity have you used any automated backup software in the past? I'm pretty sure I've used backup programs that have an option to tell the Mac to boot itself at a certain time for backup purposes, and that doesn't show up in the Energy Saver (not sure what it's setting).

Definitely there are ones that will auto-wake the Mac using something other than the standard energy saver pref, and I'm pretty sure booting is possible as well.

Perhaps one of these set it at some point in the past and now that you're not using it it's still left the "wake at..." flag turned on?

On a related note, my UPS has a tendency to wake my tower every time there's a slight power fluctuatio that causes it to kick in for a second, but as with most (all?) USB devices that won't boot it, just wake it.

8. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah thats the problem.. it is waking.. the schedule is turned off and i do not have any backup programs..

9. portent macrumors 6502a

Make sure the "Wake for Ethernet administrator access" option is not on in Energy Saver preferences

10. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok.. i still cnt fix this.. i beleive it is waking up every day at 12:53.. what else can i try?

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

There are really only four possible causes for this as far as I can tell:

1) Some backup utility or somesuch has set the computer to wake at 12:53 even though the power pref pane isn't; I don't know how they do this, but there's got to be a preference file somewhere.

2) The power prefpane IS set to wake at that time, but something got corrupted so it's not showing up when you look at it.

3) The ethernet admin access would wake it at that time if something was prodding it, but that won't boot a Mac that's powered down.

4) You've got a peripheral that's sending a wake to the USB bus at 12:53 for some reason--say, a UPS that responds to a power sag at that time caused by a heater or something.

The only other thing that will boot a powered down Mac is if it's set to restart after a power failure, but I doubt the power is going out briefly at 12:53 every day.

Gotta be a corrupt pref somewhere, but I don't know where those are stored.

12. rhys105 macrumors regular

rhys105

13. Millwood macrumors regular

I have the same problem with mine. Happened today early in the a.m. I turned off wake automatically for ethernet access, I never used automatic backup programs, just wakes up for no reason.

14. 1020 macrumors regular

My iMac wakes up from sleep as well. This only started happening a few weeks ago. I'm thinking it's due to power surges, but I'm no expert on the subject.

15. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have to unplug it when I want it turned off. Nothing is telling it to wake up. No automatic restart after failure, no schedule. Nothing! My lovely haunted iMac.

17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Before you go girl.
    Sorry:D

I more then likely is a bluetooth or other wireless device, or maybe a scheduled back up.

18. rhys105 macrumors regular

rhys105

hehehehe