Waking from sleep, never seen this before...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aircanman, Nov 9, 2012.

1. aircanman macrumors 6502

Mid 2012 MBP - Just opened the lid and this little thing came up, and the computer took about a minute to wake from sleep :s

[​IMG]

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Your battery was probably so low that the system wrote out your memory contents to disk so that the lack of power wouldn't cause the memory contents to disappear. What you're seeing on the screen is your Mac returning the contents to memory from disk.

It's quite normal behavior :)

3. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

System was connected to the mains power and battery was full, I am worrying a bit because I have just put new ram in it and am looking for errors.

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

That is an unusual scenario to be seeing this screen but maybe it was just a fluke? Report back if you see it again.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Did you put the new ram in while it was still asleep?

6. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

No of course not. Ram went in 2 days ago, this happened this morning.

7. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

For what it's worth, I had exactly the same thing today.

Usually my Mac resumes from sleep in a couple of seconds.

Today when I came home (it had been sat on the desk at home, on mains power all day but asleep) I opened it up and it took about a minute to resume properly, complete with spinning beach balls.

Last night when I put it to sleep as per normal, was the first time I put it to sleep *after* installing the 127MB update Apple pushed to my mid-2012 MBP yesterday. Whether that is a coincidence...

I'll try it again later and update this thread!

8. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Happened for me the same, after the update.

9. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

OK - an update - I put my Mac to sleep, left it for a few minutes asleep (with the 'sleep' light pulsing, as normal) then opened it up, and it woke from sleep in a few seconds, as per normal.

I can only assume that the initial - lengthy - resume was something to do with the update yesterday.

But now, it seems, normal service has been resumed!

10. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

This is still happening for me and it is a pain because the mac takes so long to do something, I can only put it to the ram I have recently installed :s

11. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

On Sunday calibrate my battery, so I completely emptied. On Monday I connected the computer and used it for an hour, then closed the lid and fell asleep for half an hour. When I opened the lid again, had the behavior you describe (as seen in your picture).

Do not know what has happened, I have not added memory or I made ​​changes to my mac. By the way, I saw that Microsoft Silverlight is installed but do not know when it was added, and do not know if this is related.

12. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have silverlight on this new laptop, and the battery has been full all of the time! - Hope there isn't a fault with this badboy!

13. newdeal macrumors 68020

This is how the mac wakes from hibernate. Usually the system won't hibernate by itself but there is software out there that can change it so that it will hibernate instead of sleep or hibernate after sleeping for a certain period of time. You can also change it with terminal commands. Is it possible that you changed a setting via software or terminal?

14. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't think so, the mac is only about a week old, so it just has all my files on it and not much software.

15. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

After the update when ever I leave my Mac connected to ac power in sleep mode for more than a day it would restart or make the ding noise like it just turned on when ever I disconnect it from the power cord. What does this mean? Is this bad? Thanks!

16. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

No, it's just resuming from hibernation.

As per my earlier post, my MBP *after* the "Update 2.0" did this, then went back to behaving as it previously had - that is, resuming in a few seconds.

However that seemed to be because I was "only" sleeping for short periods of time.

Having done some more testing, I see that if I let it sleep overnight, or for a few hours, it now *always* seems to fully hibernate, and this takes ~1 min to fully come back to life.

This is NOT a problem, now I know what (and when) to expect it.

But this IS a change to how the system previously behaved, and it's only started happening since "Update 2.0" was installed.

(Note - I've not changed any other settings, although I did try setting "Sleep" to "Never" when on "Adapter" power, but that changed nothing, my MBP still hibernates after a few hours' sleep!)

17. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you are right, but this shouldn't be happening and I am surprised we are not seeing it more on the forums.

18. Sabretooth78 macrumors member

Sabretooth78

I'm experiencing this as well, both on AC and battery power. The longest I've been able to "sleep" the cMBP since the update without going into hibernation is approx. 1.5 hours, but perhaps the limit is higher than that.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it but I would prefer to be able to resume "previous" operation if possible without resorting to a "hack".

19. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

I agree, it isn't really a problem but honestly I find it as a convenience. What's the point of sleeping when it takes the same amount of time to start back up after a hibernation as it would to regularly turn it on? I really hope they change this back is 10.8.2.3 or 10.8.3 or what ever

20. tpelacani macrumors newbie

I was worried about this long time to wake up from sleep, but after seeing all the posts, I'm not anymore. But I must confess it is a little annoying when you are in a hurry.

Interesting is: I have tried to wake the Mac up without the power cord and it seems to wake up faster than when it is connected to power... go figure.