Waking iPad 3 won't connect to wifi in iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sigmadog, Sep 24, 2014.

1. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

Gawd! Why did I think it would be fun to upgrade to IOS8?

Now, after waking from sleep, my iPad3 will not connect to my wifi network. I have to power-down the unit and restart in order to establish a connection.

It worked great until last Friday when I upgraded to IOS8. I wish I could go back to 7, but that's long gone.

Kudos to Apple for a piss-poor upgrade. I've been an Apple user since 1990 but these days I'm having lots of Bad Apple thoughts.

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

You can go back to 7 if you really wanted to.

3. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Well, today seems to be working.

Was seeing same. What happened today: iPad setup for wifi sync, last restart was yesterday or day before, iPad did not show up on iTunes, plugged the iPad into computer. Got prompted for "is this a trusted computer" type message. Click yes/ok, iTunes did something (had a small window with progress bar).

Unplugged iPad, was still showing in iTune's devices list.

Put computer to sleep for a while, just came back to it, still showing up and was able to do a wifi sync.

Apple might be pushing "stealth" iTunes updates (guessing some security certificates are maybe being revoked/updated) to deal with the recent celebrity photo hacking and plugging up some of the security holes in device backup/syncing. Maybe making everyone retrust their devices with cloud and or computer as a security precaution?

Will know tomorrow if things stay working.

4. sigmadog thread starter macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I really want to but I don't have a backup anymore on my computer.

----------

Keep me updated. I'll try your suggestion.

5. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Well, back to square one. This morning, the iPad was not showing up in iTunes via wifi. Made sure iPad was on and unlocked before starting iTunes. No joy.

6. sigmadog thread starter macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I think I may have solved my problem here...

To recap; since upgrading to IOS8, my iPad3 would not connect to wifi after waking from sleep. In order to establish a wifi connection, the unit had to be powered off and restarted.

What I did: Since I no longer had a backup of IOS7 (that I knew of), I restored the iPad to the factory settings (with IOS8) from iTunes, then reloaded my apps and media.

Now it seems to connect just fine when waking from sleep. The only thing I need to check is whether my Bluetooth Logitech keyboard was a factor (it's recharging at the moment).

7. sigmadog thread starter macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

The iPad is connecting to wifi just fine. But my Bluetooth keyboard is not connecting.

In the "Bluetooth" settings, when enabled, the iPad endlessly searches but finds nothing - that little circle keeps revolving but nothing shows up. The keyboard is fully charged and was working fine a couple days ago.

Tested it with my wife's iPad3, which is still in IOS7, and it didn't show up there either, so this is probably not IOS8 related. I'm thinking my keyboard may be toast at this point and maybe it's just a coincidence that it happened at the same time I upgraded to IOS8.

At any rate, the problem I described in my initial post has been resolved, more or less.

8. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Updated my iPad to 8.0.2 yesterday. Today, the iPad is showing up in iTunes via wifi. And syncable.

So, the wifi sync might have been an 8.0 issue and fixed with the update.

Fingers crossed that wifi syncing will stick.

9. NoBoMac, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014

NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Spoke too soon.

After one day of iPad being seen via wifi in iTunes, two days in a row now that iPad is not showing up.

So, back to the drawing board.

UPDATE: been hit or miss. Might be able to synch via wifi after rebooting iPad for a couple of days, then won't find again. Rinse, repeat.