Waking my macbook pro while lid is closed causes problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yatz, Oct 30, 2008.

1. yatz macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, im new to the forum after buying a brand new macbook pro 2 weeks ago. So far im loving it, it is definately very intuitive and easy to learn. Ive used Windows all my life so its refreshing when using a computer to not pulll my hair out when something goes wrong !!

I do have one issue which isnt major but I would like to know why it is happening. I have a wireless mighty mouse to accompany my macbook pro. When i close the lid the macbook goes into sleep mode, pulsing led. If I move the mouse (set to wake computer when sleeping) while the lid is closed, i can hear the MBP wake up. If i go and open the lid the screen remains blank and unresponsive. The sleep LED remains on constantly. I have pressed keys on the keyboard, clicked the mouse but nothing, no response. I have to restart the MBP with a force shutdown by holding the power button.

I was unfortunate to lose some work today whilst i was using Pages (no auto recovery, really is a feature that needs to be introduced), I typed everything out again so no big deal. I have unticked the mouse option so that the mouse does not wake the MBP from sleep, but shouldnt the screen come on when i open it as it should be awake!

Regards

Yatin

2. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

Sounds like it is trying to go into clamshell mode. Normally if you have an external monitor hooked up, this is the exact method you would use to disable the LCD and make the external monitor the primary display. Closing the lid to sleep and then waking using an attached keyboard or mouse.

I'm surprised it would attempt that without having the external display hooked up..

The sleep led does stay solid when in clamshell mode. I use this mode constantly when home and in "desktop" mode.

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

this same thing happens w/ mine if I'm not careful. I can usually make it go back into sleep mode by closing the lid for a few seconds. I acts normally when I reopen it.

4. joe2906 macrumors newbie