Waking on Lan

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Scarpad, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I have a 2009 mac mini using it as a plex server with external Hard Drives. I have the settting set to Wake to lan, but it won't do that. I put the mini to sleep when I'm done watching it, but I'd like it to wake , when one of my other plex clients is requesting data from it, or when I connect to it via my Imac, but it won't do so. It will only work when I leave it awake. Anyone have any Ideas? The Mini has all the latest Updates.

2. mrklaw macrumors 65816

you might have to connect it up via a bonjour compatible router - so a time capsule or airport express.

I have the opposite problem, I can't get mine to stay asleep unless I turn 'Wake on LAN' off. I think thats an issue with plex on appleTV though

3. Chiquon macrumors member

I've had similar problems with a 2010 Mini used as a home theatre with Plex and for streaming itunes via 3 airport express's to multiple rooms. Both the Mini and all of the Express's are wired into a network switch, together with my Time Capsule.

I couldn't get it wake when my iphone remote app went looking for the itunes on the mini.

I too have resorted to leaving it switched on. Not sure if this is ideal in terms of energy saving etc

4. Snips macrumors regular

I have this working great.

One thing to note is that [I believe] it only listens on port 80 by default.

I'm not familiar with Plex but it might well not access the host on port 80.

I had to add port 443 to support wake-up for SSL.

How to expand the ports listened to for wake-up is described nicely here...

http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-expand-wake-on-demand-support-under-os-x-10-6/