Waking Sleeping Mac (Snow Leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hoser1000, Aug 30, 2009.

1. hoser1000 macrumors newbie

Both my iMac and MBP have been upgraded to Snow Leopard and I was using WakeUp to awake my sleeping iMac to access the external drive connected to it but this program no longer works. I have also tried WakeOnLan and it also does not wake the iMac up. When the iMac is awake I see it in my Finder under the "Servers" option but once it goes to sleep I can no longer wake it without having to manually awake the machine.

I thought this feature was going to be in SL but I don't know how to work it so if anyones knows of some software that will wake a sleeping Mac and is still working on SL please let me know.

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Have you tried the built in features now? In the networknig section there should be options for Wake on Lan and Wake on WLAN so you can wake it with either in SL.

I know I read, but haven't tried yet, that this was implimented native nito 10.6 and had previously been 3rd party supported

3. hoser1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked out the Network section in System Preferences and didn't see anything about waking it up. But I did find that in the Energy Saver menu there is a check box called "Wake for network access" which was unchecked on my iMac. I checked the box and now "WakeUp" can get it out of sleep mode.

Works for me!

4. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

That was probably where it was. I'm not at my MBP, at work, and my MBP is powered off at home (haven't enabled the WLAN option yet) so I was trying to remember what I saw about it.

Glad you got it working.

5. AmericanSisu macrumors newbie

iMac

My iMac has a similar problem. I'm not sure if it's related to the Wake On Demand feature or not. But I put my iMac to sleep and it won't wake. No button pushing or anything. I always have to hold the power button and restart it. Solutions?