Waking Up Is Hard To Do...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by -hh, Nov 26, 2008.

1. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

:cool::cool::cool::cool:
    RING!!
    :eek::eek:

Argh...time to go to work again.

Looking for advice for suggestions for a good new alarm clock-radio for next to the bed.

What's desired is:

- she wakes to buzzer -or- an iPod track
    - he wakes to FM Station

What makes it a bit harder is that the desired FM station is hard to pull in. Best bet here is a digital FM tuner and an external FM antenna.

Also should have a battery backup (for power outages) and not have too bright of a nightlight on the clock.

Elegant UI and any other features would be gravy.

The iHomeAudio products seems to be promsing, but I'm not sure how good their FM reception is (or if its a digital tuner). Considering the iP9SR, iH9WR, iP99BR ...not really sure what the real differences are.

Suggestions?

-hh

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Wow, that's a lot of requirements! :)

I just wake up... never set an alarm... so I can't help
    Never knew it could be so complicated

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I never need any aid to get up in the morning, once I've woken up I'm alert and ready for the day.

I don't drink coffee or regularly use any kind of intoxicant on a day-day basis (only once a month or so). Those I know who like their stimulants tend to require a large cup of strong coffee to really wake up in the morning.

4. -hh thread starter macrumors 68020

-hh

Having an alarm isn't hard. It simply becomes a bit harder to find exactly the right one when there's also desire of minimzing the clutter of two or three or four different widgets.

For example, we each need our own wake-up time (4:30AM; 6:30AM), so that means two alarms...or to find one box that features "dual alarm".

Similarly, I like to hear the news & weather report before I leave the house, so there needs to be a radio somewhere.

And then there's the iPod that needs to be periodically charged.

And so on.

FWIW, we currently have an older dual alarm clock-radio that had been fine, but its problem is that it has an 'automatic' Daylight Savings Time adjustment feature that can't be disabled. When Congress changed the rules for DST a couple of years ago, there's no way to tell the clock about the new rules, so it "helpfully" changes times on what are now the wrong dates every Spring/Fall, which has made it a recurring nuisance.

-hh