Wal-Mart prepping for Apple sections

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by puckhead193, May 19, 2009.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

via engadget
    seems interesting well see how this goes. I still would not buy any electronic thing from walmart

2. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Nasty. That would ruin Apple's brand reputation. Apple products do not belong anywhere near a Walmart.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Really? Too bad they've been selling iPods since 2004 and iPhones since last year. I would imagine they're one of Apple's largest retail outlets.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Hate to break this to you, but this will not be the first time that Wal-Mart has sold Macs.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's true.

They used to carry the Performa line.

This is good news. Walmart is located in many places where there is not an Apple store.

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

That they did, but it was a while ago. I guess it wouldn't surprise me to see Apple selling Mac Mini's and perhaps MacBooks. I wouldn't expect them to stock much more than that though.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Yep just like selling the ipod line and iphones did. Unreal.... :rolleyes:

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Location isn't everything. There's a thing called customer service that you can only find in an Apple Store. And I mean the ONLY place anymore! :rolleyes:

edit: 5,000th post!!! I'd like to thank the Arn for your dedication to this site. The demis for our time together, and The Academy for the great work they do.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have no idea why you are rolling your eyes. If you need service, then you are not likely to find many Apple stores in the Gulf South where your Mississippi home is located.

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

New Orleans (Metairie Apple Store) is only an hour away. There's also one in Ridgeland, north of Jackson. Birmingham, Baton Rouge, and Memphis are short drives from parts of Mississippi as well.

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i think this is a good thing. get macs to more people. what's wrong with that?

12. k2spitfire88 macrumors 6502

The Store within a store concept. Here is a link to another article on this topic. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10244755-37.html
    I think it would be a great idea for them to do, especially with the store within a store idea. This is a great way to boost sales.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would expect the consumer line. So we would see Mac Mini, MacBooks and iMacs for sale.

Unfortunately, many rural people do not leave near an Apple Store. But they do live near a Walmart.

Personally, I like Walmart. When I am in the states, I shop there all the time.

Exactly! :)

14. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I think it's a good thing. Most Apple customers are aware of the existence of Apple stores, and if they have one nearby when they want an Apple product that's where they'll go. But they shouldn't be limited to buying there or online. What if there isn't an Apple store for like 1000 miles in any direction?

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I do as well. I'm just not sure what kind of dedicated sales they can offer. The sales force in Best Buy aren't exactly the most helpful or knowledgeable about Apple Computers, how can we expect Wal Mart to be any better.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I think that's the point with these stores. If you know what you want - you're in and out.

If not, go to an Apple Store or computer retailer...

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh, walmart will be worse. but, you get the same service other electronics as well

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Will people please get off their high horse.

This can only be good for Apple, being in the largest supermarket chain in the US will dramatically increase awareness, profits and marketshare.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Well said.

If you know what you want, many times you can get it at Walmart for a decent price. And if you can't find what you want at Walmart, then there are plenty of other stores to try.

With Apple, a huge part of the country does not live near an Apple Store. Yet, are within a few minutes of a Walmart store. What a way to penetrate a larger consumer base.

20. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Awesome.

I am curious if their pricing will be their own or they will stick to Apple MSRP?

I would dearly love Best Buy to actually have to compete with someone

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'm not very hopeful, but maybe this will push Apple to release a sub $650 laptop. :eek:

22. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

They will be an Apple Reseller just like MacMall et.al. Pricing will be set by Apple. If Wal-Mart chooses to offer rebates or discounts that's their decision.

And I'm guessing they will sell the lower price Macs.

23. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

i can just imagine the horror of a walmart employee trying to help someone choose the right computer or try to solve any issues someone brings in with their mac.. i mean if best buy doesn't even know what they are selling or how things work.. there is no hope for anyone employed by wally's. what a mess

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The Wal-Mart by work already has an iPod case, and an iPhone kiosk. So why not combine the two, add the White MacBook, Mac Mini, the new Tablet :)D) and end up having a small Appple Section? :)

25. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

This won't be a problem at my local Walmart stores. They hardly ever keep any computers or computer related items in stock. They've had their iPhone display up for months but I have yet to see any on display or in stock. They sometimes have a few iPods in stock. I did manage to buy a iPod Touch from Walmart after calling around to three different stores and finding only one store store that had only one in stock.

The local Walmart stores usually have numerous laptops, computers and LCD monitors on display but it's extremely rare that that they have one new in a box in stock and ready to sell. And usually at least half of the display items won't have a price listed or they'll have a price sticker on them that belongs with some other item. It's a waste of floor space...