Walgreens Apple Pay unnecessary extra steps?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by BD1, Oct 20, 2014.

1. BD1 macrumors 6502

Just used Apple Pay at a Walgreens. It seems like there are a couple of extra steps. This is very minor issue but just curious if this is supposed to work this way.

1. Do you have to actually tap the NFC sensor with your Phone? Passbook was not coming up so I tapped the NFC sensor and it came up. Maybe I didn't wait long enough but wondering why you have to actually tap it?

2. After successfully using touch ID to pay, the Walgreen's touch screen came up with a message was $.$$ the correct amount (or something like this). So I tapped the screen button 'YES'. This seems like an unnecessary step. Is this a Walgreens process or do all Apple Pay payments require this extra confirmation? (I haven't tried it anywhere else yet).

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

No they always do that. Its even more infuriorating with a CC/DC. I get so angry and give up and walk out midway through the transaction.

3. BD1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you have to physically tap the NFC sensor to activate Passbook?

4. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I used to work at a large retailer, and unfortunately I can tell you why that question exists. People love to pay all different types of ways, or they want to put the gum on their debit card because they can cover that on there, but want to use cash for the rest, or their credit card is maxed out, ect. ect.

Bottom line, the question causes far less trouble than somebody's credit card getting over charged because "I only had $50.00 of credit available on there and I was going to use this other card for the other $450 of this TV I probably shouldn't be buying."

They only think to mention it AFTER they swiped the card and the cashier hits total, but it is of course our fault.

Ugh, i'm not bitter or anything... Glad I got out of retail.

5. codemonkey812 macrumors newbie

You do not actually need to make contact with the reader. As long as your phone is within a few inches it will work. You know if is working when Passbook/ApplePay opens. Also some readers have LED lights when the reader connects. But to be honest, I tend to rest the top of my phone on the reader to be sure.

6. BigCLC macrumors member

BigCLC

I had the same experience as the op, I could not get my card to pop up on screen until I physically tapped my phone against the logo on the terminal. I also had to confirm the amount on the terminal as well.

7. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Had to confirm the ammount as well as input my debit pin.

8. hamstation macrumors newbie

here it is April 2015 walgreens still had to enter PIN to use Apple Pay.

9. Simon89 macrumors member

You guys should be lucky you have Apple Pay, who knows when the UK will get it :(

10. Killchain macrumors member

Killchain

I don't think its the same as a Credit Card, a debit card doesn't save a receipt on Apple Pay. When it comes to Walgreens its the worst Apple Pay/ POS(point of sale) use. Of any other vendors.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Get rid of Apple Pay it is not ready for prime time. :apple:

12. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Walgreens is actually the ONLY place where I've gotten Apple Pay to work correctly. I hold my thumb over the button and put my phone near the reader. That's all I have to do.

13. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

FYI, works great at Whole Foods, with no confirmation at all. Hold near top of reader, passbook comes up/finger on TouchID, I pick the card I want to use, and I'm done. Screen says approved, cashier gives me paper receipt.

No 'approval', 'confirmation', etc. I'll have to try Walgreens again, but WF is definitely the way it should be!

14. eortizr macrumors member

NFC payment has been available for about 2 years, and it woks the same way for Apple, Samsung, Nexus, Nokia, etc.

There are even some Chase Bank cards that have NFC integrated and it is the same, you have to follow prompts on the screen.

15. Ash Pole macrumors member

I bank at two different credit unions and neither one have plans of adopting Apple Pay. They say there isn't a demand for a niche payment system. And when retail Goliaths like Walmart shun Apple Pay the chances of it becoming mainstream are slim to none.
    In the case of Walgreens, yes, Apple Pay is accepted but it isn't integrated with their Balance Rewards card....which sort of makes NFC worthless.

16. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I show my rewards card which the cashier scans from my phone. I then pay with ApplePay and do have to use my PIN but so what. The point of this for me is having a secure way to pay so that my bank info is better protected. If it was a single swipe and done that would be a bonus but for the security and convenience of just using my phone its fantastic.

We need to deal with the shortcomings for a while to let the retailers know we're interested in the method so that as demand rises they will do more to improve the process. Security in the transaction, just keep that in mind.

17. whatos macrumors 6502a

Walgreens is the best, even though not the fastest, in keeping customer data secure. I neither work or advocate for them. Just passing on what I know.

Apple Pay? Get used to hiccups and delays, the financial processing people work at their own pace. :)

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

They are all "the best" until they get hacked or some accidental data breach or loss happens somewhere.

19. whatos macrumors 6502a

The point being?

20. FloridaGary macrumors regular

I have ApplePay at Walgreens Home Depot UPS and Paneras and all transactions have been flawless. Iphone needs to be within a few inches of the NFC sensor and then confirm payment with Touch ID.

21. kyle4beantown macrumors newbie