Walgreens Officially Launches First Apple Pay Loyalty Rewards Program

flaw600

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
FWIW, not all retailers that are accepting EMV credit are currently setup to accept EMV debit. So just because you dip for credit cards in a store doesn't necessarily mean you also dip with debit cards.

Chase specifically tells its customers with EMV debit cards to swipe them first, and only dip them if instructed.

Don't forget, Apple Pay uses a token, which is a completely different card number. Even if you had your physical card with you, the last four of that wouldn't match what Apple Pay sent.

Yeah, I did that this morning using the Walgreen's iOS app. Well, I guess that's not exactly entering the details into Apple Wallet directly, but I was able to type the number into the Walgreens app, which put the card into the wallet.
At least with BoA, they tell you the last 4 digits of the virtual card

moo083

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Just a note. I was just at Walgreens. I was using my watch. I double tapped the friends button. If you swipe over, Walgreens shows up as one of the choices on that screen now. I tried using it when the payment was requested and it just said "Card not recognized". I tried it at the screen where it asks for your phone number too and no go.

I ended up using the barcode. I still paid with Apple Pay. I wonder if I got points because it auto-paid when I used Apple Pay normally.

MobileWalletBrandon

macrumors newbie
I went ahead and checked it out. Did not work for me but the pass was NFC enabled. Will post video link in 1 sec.

Upon requests by many, I went ahead and made a video using the balance rewards card here-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVDZiNsj4po&feature=youtu.be. The terminal was not yet enabled but it will give you a nice demonstration as to what you can expect.

Last edited by a moderator:

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Why is this so confusing? I've read the OP and many comments and still don't know what this new rollout means. Since Apple Pay came out I've been showing my Balance Rewards Card on my phone and also paying with Apple Pay. This article isn't very clear.

TechiEmmanuel

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013
Northern Virginia
Why is this so confusing? I've read the OP and many comments and still don't know what this new rollout means. Since Apple Pay came out I've been showing my Balance Rewards Card on my phone and also paying with Apple Pay. This article isn't very clear.
Walgreens updated their Pass so that you can touch to apply rewards instead of scanning the barcode.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
No more carrying around those stupid reward cards: Albertson's, King Soopers, etc. Now I can see the potential in Apple Pay!
I'd love to have all rewards cards go this way. I never bother to carry 99% of them as it makes no sense to carry so many cards in your wallet that you may use just once a year.
Use 21st century technology and don't carry cards, use an app like Stocard to hold your reward cards. The app takes a pic of your card and your good to go.
It even has a function "Add to Apple Wallet" if that card is available for Apple wallet.
I don't use any rewards programs that don't at least let you just enter your phone number. It's better that way.
No, it's not better that way. You're one of those annoying people who hold up the line. Yah know, like the people who wait until everything is rung up, look at the price dumbfounded and then spend five minutes digging for their wallet or purse.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Thanks. I had the old version of the card already in my Wallet, and couldn't do anything with it. I deleted it, and then went to the Walgreens App, and readded to "Passbook" and now the card is different in the Wallet.app. Before, it was white with the barcode. Now it is blue and says "Touch ID to Apply" and a button to Show Code.

No, but if you have the Walgreens App, you can add it to that manually, then use the app to add to Wallet.app, as @gsmornot stated
i had considerable trouble. Store & online walgreens help had different names & usernames on account. ?! Changed them all to conform, changed p/w (which was being rejected). Nothing worked until I quit all apps and re-started phone. Then easy-peasy, added new card manually and was given option to add it to wallet on phone, then on watch. But took a while... My recommendation: patience, and calling walgreens' responsive cust svc (though they didn't have a definitive answer, they advanced the cause)

Last edited by a moderator:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
No, it's not better that way. You're one of those annoying people who hold up the line. Yah know, like the people who wait until everything is rung up, look at the price dumbfounded and then spend five minutes digging for their wallet or purse.
That's one hell of a stretch.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Is MR sponsored by Apple Pay? Anything that happens around Apple Pay makes the front page. Yeah great functionality though going into loyalty program launches?

In such case might as well have a dedicated section with deals around Apple Pay.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Is MR sponsored by Apple Pay? Anything that happens around Apple Pay makes the front page. Yeah great functionality though going into loyalty program launches?
What page should it make?
Take a look at the graph again. iPhone is the biggest chunk. Therefore news surrounding iPhone is front page news.

I such case might as well have a dedicated section with deals around Apple Pay.
There is another case.
Start your own tech blog and post the news you feel worthy.
Then other people can post comments and nit pick just like you.

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
Tried doing the same thing at Wegmans this morning... I used the Shopper's Club Card on the terminal before the card, and it just went back to the credit card. The terminal still asked if I had a Shopper's Club Card or not.

Definitely something that needs to be fixed by the merchants, and a very poor job of Apple not showing how this is supposed to work. Yet another quality control issue under Tim Cook.

deejaykorn

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
Wegmans grocery stores recently updated their iPhone app, and I noticed that their loyalty card in iOS 9 Wallet is now Apple Pay enabled. I'm not sure if it was the app update or the latest iOS 9.2 public beta, but one or both of those enabled it.
Tried doing the same thing at Wegmans this morning... I used the Shopper's Club Card on the terminal before the card, and it just went back to the credit card. The terminal still asked if I had a Shopper's Club Card or not.

Definitely something that needs to be fixed by the merchants, and a very poor job of Apple not showing how this is supposed to work. Yet another quality control issue under Tim Cook.
I also see that Wegmans updated their royally card for Apple Pay. However, it doesn't work yet. I tried it this morning and any time I had the loyalty card ready to scan, it would switch to my debit card. Their terminals must not be updated yet.

Attachments

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
That is correct. I figure they'll get around to issuing me a new debit card with a chip in it eventually. I actually have two debit cards with Wells Fargo (personal and business) and neither have been replaced with chipped cards. Every other card in my wallet from other issuers has been replaced with chipped cards, though. I guess Wells Fargo is just behind the times yet again. Their iOS app looks and functions like something that was developed in 2009; but that's a whole other subject.
Actually Wells Fargo is one of the most advanced banks when it comes to technology. I don't know of any other bank that allows you to print stamps at the ATM or change your pin right then and there. You can also get the receipts e-mailed and texted to your phone.

The app is fine, have you seen M&T's? The only thing the Wells Fargo banking app is missing is the touch ID support. The checks I mobile deposit clear instantly.

I also see that Wegmans updated their royally card for Apple Pay. However, it doesn't work yet. I tried it this morning and any time I had the loyalty card ready to scan, it would switch to my debit card. Their terminals must not be updated yet.
I'm willing to be they'll be updated soon, along with the same update that'll let them start accepting EMV cards in the EMV slot.

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Actually Wells Fargo is one of the most advanced banks when it comes to technology. I don't know of any other bank that allows you to print stamps at the ATM or change your pin right then and there. You can also get the receipts e-mailed and texted to your phone.

The app is fine, have you seen M&T's? The only thing the Wells Fargo banking app is missing is the touch ID support. The checks I mobile deposit clear instantly.
Their ATMs are great -- which is why I'm left scratching my head about why their iOS app sucks so badly. Their app is simply a wrapper around their mobile website. The only thing the app can do that their mobile site cannot is deposits. For one of the top three banks in the U.S. in terms of deposits to have their app be simply a wrapper around their mobile site is shameful. There's a good reason their app only has 1.5 stars on the App Store.

kdarling

macrumors P6
So what about privacy here ? Will Walgreens be able to link your purchase history to your identity, or will Apple PAy maintain anonymity ?
This is not about Apple Pay. It's about an awards card. Unless it's a anonymous dumb piece of paper like a punch-out get-a-free meal after-ten, then you probably registered for it.

So naturally, it all depends on what you put into the fields when you registered for the reward card, and what fields were required, and if they actually check up on the entered info.

You can certainly try to make up an alternate identity if you wish.

Just be aware that updated cards, coupons, special deals, and even awards, often ONLY show up in email or snail mail, so one or both of those need to be real to take true advantage.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
What page should it make?
Take a look at the graph again. iPhone is the biggest chunk. Therefore news surrounding iPhone is front page news.

There is another case.
Start your own tech blog and post the news you feel worthy.
Then other people can post comments and nit pick just like you.
Relax Bro. Was sarcasm ;)

And a cry for attention, cause my bank still does not support it :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.