Walgreens Shoppers Get 3% Cash Back When Using Drive-Thru Ordering With Physical Apple Card Through June 30

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today sent out emails to Apple Card holders letting them know that the three percent cash back perk at Walgreens has been expanded to include drive-thru ordering until June 30. When using the physical Apple Card to make a payment through the drive-thru ordering feature, Walgreens shoppers will get three percent cash back.

Apple and Walgreens are also continuing to offer three percent cash back when making touchless payments with Apple Card using Apple Pay in-store and when using Apple Card to shop online at Walgreens.com or in the Walgreens app.

Apple Card owners have been able to get 3 percent daily cash back when making purchases of all eligible health, beauty, personal care, household, and seasonal products at Walgreens and Duane Reade since September 2019.

Article Link: Walgreens Shoppers Get 3% Cash Back When Using Drive-Thru Ordering With Physical Apple Card Through June 30

Last edited:

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I love Walgreens but my Medicare plan is mostly zero dollars for my prescriptions and sometimes $4 so this is not the incentive I need to get an Apple Card. :) (But really, for me, I just don't want the extra work of tracking another credit card.)

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
You guys should emphasize that the PHYSICAL card is now eligible for 3% back. It says it in the image, but you guys should reiterate it in the title or first paragraph of the article.

Reactions: whoknows2597

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
While this is nice, I need 6% back on Apple
that would be cool. It would also be good if they’re able to get a few more partners on board with the 3%. I know during this current time, it probably won’t happen. But hopefully they can get a few more partners on board for the 3% and then up the apple purchases to 6%

EpicEsquire

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
that would be cool. It would also be good if they’re able to get a few more partners on board with the 3%. I know during this current time, it probably won’t happen. But hopefully they can get a few more partners on board for the 3% and then up the apple purchases to 6%
Agreed

I missed the 6% back during the holidays and if they did a special 6% back right now, I would order what I currently have in my cart on Apple

Reactions: whoknows2597

FightTheFuture

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Is there a source to track which stores and services currently offer 3%? I bought shoes from Nike.com last week and was surprised the 3% cash back is still offered with that store. The promotion began in November.

I missed the 6% back during the holidays and if they did a special 6% back right now, I would order what I currently have in my cart on Apple
I ordered my 16-inch MBP like 3 days before the 6% cash back. I considered returning and re-buying, but the purchase included a Visa gift card that was expiring that month, and Goldman Sachs couldn't determine when the return would be posted to my account so the credit limit might not have adjusted in time. That's like a $90 savings I missed out on.

EpicEsquire

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
Is there a source to track which stores and services currently offer 3%? I bought shoes from Nike.com last week and was surprised the 3% cash back is still offered with that store. The promotion began in November.

I ordered my 16-inch MBP like 3 days before the 6% cash back. I considered returning and re-buying, but the purchase included a Visa gift card that was expiring that month, and Goldman Sachs couldn't determine when the return would be posted to my account so the credit limit might not have adjusted in time. That's like a $90 savings I missed out on.

Ohhhh wow - they wouldn't do an adjustment for you to credit you the extra 3%?

Truckondo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
I don’t understand. The whole point of the physical card is for retailers that don’t accept Apple Pay. Walgreens has support it for years.

EpicEsquire

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
you must not want it that much if the 3% difference is what’s holding you back.

Looking to save an extra 3% has nothing to do with "want" and more to do with attempting to get the best deal possible during this pandemic. Every dollar counts.

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
At the current time, why do you want people to use the physical card for payment? isn't that a way to spread the virus too?
I don’t understand. The whole point of the physical card is for retailers that don’t accept Apple Pay. Walgreens has support it for years.
Drive throughs in the US tend not to hand over the terminal for payment, if they're even able to at all. I've never used the Walgreens drive through but I feel like they're one of the ones that aren't able to.

Also, cards are easier to sanitize than cash, so I'm not sure it's that much riskier than using your phone if you actually do sanitize it after handing it to someone.

Reactions: compwiz1202

BillyBurke

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
We are talking about the "drive through" here folks. Very, very few places have an NFC terminal available at the drive through. Hopefully, adding that capability
will be one of the "market adjustments" made in response to COVID 19.

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
We are talking about the "drive through" here folks. Very, very few places have an NFC terminal available at the drive through. Hopefully, adding that capability
will be one of the "market adjustments" made in response to COVID 19.
I think app ordering/delivery is going to become more of a thing for sure. I'm not sure about NFC yet, although a few did enable it precisely because of COVID-19.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
We'd rather you set up your card through express pay so we dont need to handle your physical cards DURING A PANDEMIC. Thanks.

Henk Poley

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2008
Does this basically mean that with periodic fees and late fees, people on average pay >>103% when using the Apple credit card?

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
Drive throughs in the US tend not to hand over the terminal for payment, if they're even able to at all. I've never used the Walgreens drive through but I feel like they're one of the ones that aren't able to.

Also, cards are easier to sanitize than cash, so I'm not sure it's that much riskier than using your phone if you actually do sanitize it after handing it to someone.
They don't need to hand over the terminals. After you activate Apple Pay, the iPhone will give you 60 seconds to bring the phone near the reader, regardless of whether or not your finger is still on it, meaning you can hand your phone to the guy, have him put it by the reader, then hand it back to you.

Few people know about this, but it's definitely a thing. I've used it many times.

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
They don't need to hand over the terminals. After you activate Apple Pay, the iPhone will give you 60 seconds to bring the phone near the reader, regardless of whether or not your finger is still on it, meaning you can hand your phone to the guy, have him put it by the reader, then hand it back to you.

Few people know about this, but it's definitely a thing. I've used it many times.
Sure, but I feel like handing a stranger your phone is a bad idea even without the coronavirus floating around. I'm sure there are others who are the same way, too.

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
Sure, but I feel like handing a stranger your phone is a bad idea even without the coronavirus floating around. I'm sure there are others who are the same way, too.
Not like the counter guy is going to run off with it, they do have cameras. I've never been concerned. Not much more risky than giving over your credit card, and ApplePay can't be used once that 60 second period expires, while that card you hand over can be used repeatedly until you disable it (if stolen).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.