Walk-in buying at Verizon store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spoolin00, Oct 9, 2011.

1. spoolin00 macrumors newbie

As the title says, when the iPhone 4 came out, who decided to take the option of not pre-ordering it and walking in to the Verizon store to buy on or close to the release day.

Verizon website is saying it will ship by 10/20 for pre-orders

I live in a medium size college town and am wondering if I should take the chance and wait to buy in-store. Due to schedule conflicts, I wont be able to buy in-store until 10/15 (saturday).

I guess the main question is, whats the fastest way to get my shiny new iPhone 4s in my hands?

btw, closest apple store is about 30 min away

2. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Given the popularity of preorders, I wouldn't expect you would be able to walk in on the 15th and get a phone. It is probably better to preorder and hope that somehow it ships earlier than the estimate.

3. spoolin00, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

spoolin00 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already got the mindset that I wont be getting it on the 15th, but what are your thoughts about getting it before the next thursday/friday 20th or 21st?

This will be my first iPhone so I'm still trying to figure out how these releases work

4. steve dave macrumors 6502a

I would bet that if you want to get one as quickly as possible without preordering that it is going to involve being at the Verizon store before they open everyday until you get one. I really think the best option for you is to order it and be patient.

5. spoolin00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will I be able to ship the phone to a different address than on the account (I am not the account owner)

6. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I believe the shipment address has to be the same as the billing address on the account. Typically companies will not ship to a different address due to fraud prevention measures. You may want to call Apple and verify this. I wouldn't assume they will ship this way and loss your shipment date.

7. spoolin00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just spoke with a Verizon rep online and was informed that I wouldn't be able to do the order online with shipping to a separate address. However, they mentioned I could call a certain number to speak with someone else and inform them of my situation to see if there was anything they can do.

At this point I think I will just cross my fingers that the two stores within a mile of me have some phones the week after next.

I realize no one will have a definitive answer to this, but if Verizons website say they will ship out late pre-orders around the 20th, that the stores most likely wont have any phones till around the either?

Thanks guys!

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You know the verizon store will receive very few phones, right?
    You're better off going to the apple store and getting in line at 12 or 1 am.

9. spoolin00 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm new to this whole iPhone experience so If you have any suggestions please don't hesitate. I've been a Blackberry owner for last 5 years :/

The closest apple store is about 30 minutes away. How bad will the crowd be next Saturday or Sunday at the apple stores??

What is the process they go through to get you hooked up to your network (Will be sticking with verizon). On Verizons website they say they will extend your unlimited data plan if currently on that plan. Will apple be able to give me the same deal?

Edit- Due to class/work schedule I wont be able to buy until the 15th (Saturday)

10. tr1age macrumors member

tr1age

This rep is wrong I pre-ordered it and set my shipping address to a different address than the one on file :)

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I think you will be able to walk in and get one at Verizon just fine, its the AT&T ones that sold out so quick, mainly due to the 3GS users. Verizon iPhone customers are stuck in a contract with the CDMA iPhone 4, so I would imagine there would be a lot less traffic.

It would also help you out if you are going for the 32 or 64GB one rather than the 16.

12. spoolin00, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

spoolin00 thread starter macrumors newbie

At this point, with the help from others, I feel like checking the Apple store closest to me will be the best option. I will most likely check with my local Verizon stores late Friday night if they have any.

From iPhone veterans who have bought at the Apple Store, how busy is the store the day after release day. If the store opens at 10am would I be safe showing up a couple hours before then? How fast do they run out?

13. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Apple will certainly have more stock than a verizon store... but will also have a much longer line. I would find some small remote corporate verizon store and get there early enough to be in the first three people.

----------

There is no way I would go to an apple store at that hour with no guarantee that they are even going to have any stock at all. In fact they probably will not have stock on the day right after launch.

14. spoolin00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Friday is out of the question. The best I can do is Check with Verizon stores late Friday night to see if the will have any for the next day. I'm banking on Saturday hopefully!!

I will be purchasing a 16gb White iPhone 4s

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

If I wanted an iPhone4s and did not pre-order, I would still see if anyone was offering the iPhone 4s to be delivered on release day.

If not, I would call every store on release day and see if they have any. I would be willing to bet some stores will have some extra.

16. steve dave macrumors 6502a

read his post, he can't get to any store on launch day.

17. spoolin00 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am unable to buy before the 15th. My plan is to call local Verizon stores Friday night to check availability for the following day. If no luck with that, I will be doing the zombie walk to the closest Apple Store to see if I can get my hands on one.

x2

If the Apple store becomes my only option on Saturday, and I can get my hands on one, what will they do at the Apple Store as far as my Verizon network goes. Will they be able to set everything up (unlimited data and all) right there in their store?

18. spoolin00 thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up getting some time after work to check out the local verizon store. At 4pm today I walked in and bought the last one!! Wasn't expecting it at all.

As I sit here typing this in tapatalk, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your help with my first iPhone purchase.

I love it!!