Walk ins MAY be possible

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by spoa94, Mar 29, 2015.

1. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I just spoke with someone on Apple sales chat inquiring about walk in availability. I did this because I will not get the money for my watch until launch day so I wanted to wait in line to purchase my device and not preorder. I was told that walk-ins will be store specific. I was advised to make a try on appointment and then ask if walk-ins will be accepted at that specific retail location.

2. Gooberton macrumors 65816

3. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

4. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

Your best bet is to try and reserve one on launch day as walk ins won't be available.

5. technosix macrumors 6502a

In some ways Apple Watch is nothing more than Apple having fun doing whatever they want because they can.

Facts:

Apple's now too big to be seriously harmed even should the watch be a colossal dud.

Apple gets what Apple wants.

Customers largely buy into anything Apple says.

Apple's able to subsidize this entire experiment and still have obscene amounts of excess cash.

Apple's the well camouflaged religion to millions.

6. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Apple shared this with retail employees internally:

7. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

so... this is Apple version of "religious Freedom restoration bill".

Sir... unless you have 17K, I can show you the watch, but you cannot buy it. Buy it online, or come back for another appointment

8. technosix, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015

technosix macrumors 6502a

Yes... Apple _is_ a religion :)

9. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

more like a cult, actually

10. technosix macrumors 6502a

I couldn't agree more.

11. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I couldn't disagree more.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

Interesting. Is that just for the initial launch? I would be surprised if in the middle of August Apple Stores don't have healthy supplies of the Sport and some of the stainless steel models, and could sell them to walk-ins easily.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think the reservation system for getting the watch is a great idea. As much as the campouts might bring in the press, it also brings out the scalpers. If they limit you to one watch per reservation, it will mean more watches to sell for more people.:rolleyes:

14. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

doesn't it seem crazy that you can't just walk into a shop and purchase a product they have??

can you imagine walking into Target and being denied the chance to buy a loaf of bread they have sitting on the shelf because you didn't pre-order on line?

15. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

If you have been paying attention to the requirements of the purchase, which is an advance preorder, why not just do that?

People who aren't paying attention closely are not likely to make the Apple Watch their purchase priority. They are busy with their lives, probably not even aware of the watch until after a few weeks when other people have it.

The advantage of advance preorder is that you will know if there is one available for you. There is no need to line up at the store and find out it's out of stock when you get into the store.

Maybe you should pay attention to your priority, looks like you're living paycheck-to-paycheck. Won't have money until launch day? Come on.

16. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Please! If money is that tight, use that money for food or rent, not a $400 watch! They are going to make a LOT of these. You'll be OK if you don't get it on day one.

----------

More like a drug addiction.

17. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

No. It's the Ecosystem. :apple:

18. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

All products are different. For major electronics or game releases even "big box" stores (like Best Buy) do pre-orders to guarantee availability.

Can't really compare loafs of bread/toothpaste/soap/etc... to a speciality product like Apple Watch.

19. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

The key piece of that article is it says AT LAUNCH. Once the start up demand is filled they were certainly have some available to come in and buy. It could be weeks or even months if demand is high enough. I would expect that this is such a new product that they have no idea what the distribution of demand may be. It could be massively different based on city or region or country based on styles.

20. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

We get it ... Apple is evil ... cause corporation. :rolleyes:

21. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

The best thing about that plan is that it will get rid of the scalpers who seem to line up for blocks with cash for new iPhones. In fact, now that I think about it this removes a lot of the cash buyers unless the store WILL accept cash on the spot for those reservations.

22. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

When you are successful, people will get jealous and make ridiculous accusations, saying you're a cult, a religion, a culture, etc.

Maybe it's other company's employees doing this. Samsung? Motorola? Microsoft? ;)

23. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

yes, I understand pre-orders etc...what I'm reading though is that regardless of availability, you can't just walk in and buy one on launch day.

the comparison I was doing is irrelevant of product...you walk in, if it's in stock you can buy one....but apparently not with an apple watch

24. Esexx macrumors 6502

Esexx

Apple cultish?

Let's throw Woz in to the mix...

What would he say?

25. Wallabe, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Apple is making the process more civilized. Instead of 200 people lining up around the block at the Apple Store, there is an invisible line that guarantees everyone in that line will have one. No riots, no stabbing, hopefully no thieves, no fingers getting pulled off, or god forbid, a severed hand while someone was wearing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnQEZ5MLxGs&spfreload=10

You already know the requirements, why not preorder it? Instead of waiting in line for hours or days, just go about your life until the store opens up and you can just walk in and walk out, no waiting, no hassle.

Eventually, when the initial demands are gone and more supplies are readily available, then walk-ins will take place, just like any other product.