Walk-ins: What retail outlet are you choosing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deenybird, Jun 19, 2010.

?

What store will you be lining up at?

1. Apple Store

33 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. AT&T

23 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Best Buy

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Radio Shack

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Walmart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. deenybird macrumors regular

Each retail outlet offers it's own strengths and weaknesses. Apple will have plenty of phones to go around, but I don't even want to imagine the length of the lines. ATT stores will have easy activation and know first-hand about your account, but they're rumored to only be getting around 30 phones each. Radio Shack's are located all over, but they've got their own issues. And of course lets not forget Best Buy and Walmart.

Place your votes and lets see where people are planning on lining up come the 24th.

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

AT&T for me, but not by choice. Since I have limited credit history, they want me to pay a deposit. No problem, except that forces me to do the purchase at an AT&T store ONLY. Instead of 5 retailers, I'm stuck with one. Still can't understand why they can't let you pay the deposit separately...If i could have done it earlier, I'd have been able to pre-order. Oh well, I'm going to be camping out and plan on being one of the first 10 in line at my local store. I called and they said it's first come first serve, so I should be getting a phone on Thursday.

3. elephunkman macrumors 65816

AT&T just in case something goes wrong with my current order.

4. otis123 macrumors 6502a

THe place im going to be at has a walmart, a really old radio shack (idk if they sell phones) and an AT&T store. I've heard walmart is only getting the 16gb, and I think that radio shack would ask me "whats an I-PHONE?!?" so I'm banking on AT&T unfortunately...

5. deenybird thread starter macrumors regular

yea i guess thats what i'm planning on as well.
    I'm kind of afraid that the walmart will have the shortest lines/least demand...

6. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

What day/time do you plan on getting there?

7. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

AT & T

They have so many stores around that I cant imagine that much of line. Im just hoping that they'll even have the phones! Ill probably call on Wednesday and see if they know anything.

8. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

I'm going to Radio Shack first thing in the morining. I have a $210 gift card from there, from selling my 3GS to them. The location I went through had at least 2 preorders go through, but I'm hoping that will have at least one or two for walk ins on that day. There are two other locations in town, in case they dont have any. I'll be calling those stores the day before to see if they will.

9. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

I am planning an apple store but I might drive by the local att store and see if anyone is out front. maybe just go to it if no one is there.

I'm just worried that they wont have any for walkins :(

10. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

11. tigerfan1988 macrumors member

Most likely Radioshack, as I walked into one tonight in a smaller nearby town and they basically told me "We'll have an extra one and it will be yours on the 24th." :D So I am expecting them to call me on Thursday, but I plan on being there at 9am since they open at 9:30.

However, I don't 100% trust that they'll have an extra one, so just to be safe, I am going to the local AT&T and Walmart at their respective opening times (7am and 8am, I believe). All stores are within a 3 mile radius of each other, so I think one way or another, I'll have my iPhone 4 on the 24th. ;)

12. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

It doesn't matter how far apart the stores are. You do realize that you most likely will not be able to just walk into a store and buy one, right? You will most likely have to camp prior to the opening of one of the stores. That's probably the best way. Go to Wal-Mart or AT&T at 3 or 4 am and just wait a few hours and you will get yours fairly quickly. Arriving at the store when it opens will not get you a phone quickly. You have to choose a store bro, and stick to it.

13. RedRaider219 macrumors newbie

Hitting the Apple Store near my house around 4:30am to wait around till 7. From what I've been told I should be getting a phone launch day :)

14. tigerfan1988 macrumors member

Yes I know that, but thankfully, they all open within an hour and a half of each other. Plus, they are in a smaller town--and most people will be flocking to the other side of the area in the bigger nearby town (where I actually live). I know this because I've seen what launches are like for other high demand products, and 9 times out of 10, people go to the bigger town and falsely assume the smaller town won't have the product. When I walked into Radioshack today, they would have given me a preorder IF they were still allowed to (they could only do so on Tuesday), and from the way they made it sound, they did not get a lot of preorders and knew they'd have at least a few extras. And this is a small Radioshack, one that most people would not think would carry the iPhone 4. I know I only walked in there just for the heck of it to see if they were getting them.

My current plan is this: Arrive at AT&T around 6am. Wait in line or if there's no line, enjoy some music in the car until someone else shows up. Get the phone at or after 7am. If no unreserved phones are there, move on to Walmart at 7:30. Wait around the Cell department in Walmart and try to get the iPhone 4 at or around 8am. If nothing is there, head over to Radioshack by 9. Get my phone there, hopefully. I wouldn't trust this in a big town, but in a town with a population of less than 15,000 and 2 AT&Ts/3 Walmarts/3 Radioshacks in the area, I feel it's a good plan.

15. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

i'm thinking att store because i need to port 3 lines from t-mobile.. but if you already have a line or are starting a whole new line i would say apple store since it's for damn sure that apple has waaaay more in stock.. they make more money that way

16. deenybird thread starter macrumors regular

Now that we're all forced to go to the apple stores, hopefully they will be able to sort out people's complicated ATT issues.