Walked out of the Apple store disappointed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LynnW, Jul 4, 2008.

1. LynnW macrumors member

I went in to buy an iMac and a printer. Couldn't do it. They don't stock the printer I want. So a couple of hours ago, I ordered a 24" 2.8GHz iMac and a Canon Pixima MP970 from the online store. With the printer rebate and my government employee discount, I saved a nice chunk of change.

I'm replacing a Pentium II 400MHz. I'm tired of Windows and all the stuff that comes with it. It seems like a good time to switch.

I've been lurking here at macrumors for quite a while and learned a lot which helped me decide which Mac was right for me. Thanks to Arn and the mods for running a great forum and thanks to the community for all the great info.

2. Garemz macrumors regular

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, I'm sorry they didn't have the printer you wanted, but I'm glad you were able to get it and an iMac online. You'll enjoy the Mac experience, I guarantee it.:)

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Congrats, and nice willpower! :eek:

I've seen many other folks in the same situation walk out with a lesser printer simply because they couldn't leave without a Mac in their hands that day. :eek:

5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

At least you wont be disappointed with that equipment :)!

6. mBurns macrumors 6502

Congragulations on the Mac. I'm sure you'll love it!

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Wow, a pentium II, thats like Windows 95 territory. Thats a major upgrade, the Core 2 Duo is probably hundreds of times faster.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

He's probably running XP, though just barely, considering XP can run on 250 MHz. Windows 95 has problems with anything over 300 MHz.:p

But yes, you will much enjoy the speed boost. :)

9. G-Com macrumors regular

10. Vster macrumors 6502

Welcome!

I've had my 24" iMac for 3 weeks now and I love it! You will to! Congratulations :apple:

11. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Indeed! Congrats on your purchase.

12. LynnW thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for the warm welcome. The iMac shipped today and should be here Monday. With the money I saved with the printer rebate and government employee discount, I decided to get overnight delivery.

The old Pentium still runs well for its age and XP is just fine. One of the things that has been driving me up the wall is when an update for McAfee is downloaded and installed. The computer comes to a standstill for 20 or more minutes. It is also very slow to boot. It has given good service for 10 years, but it is time for something new.

13. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

Congrats! None of the apple stores I've been to stocked a lot of printers. My latest purchase there only had a choice of 2. Gotta love teh online store though!

14. LynnW thread starter macrumors member

Alright!! It left the FedEx facility in Ontario, CA 44 minutes ago.

15. G-Com macrumors regular

McAfee was awful. Norton wasn't a lot better. The latter actually led me to buy a Macintosh in the summer of 2001. I had the whole shebang of Norton utilities and kept the definitions up to date and I kept getting viruses and I am convinced I got hacked twice.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Or as my friends say,,, you have gone to the dark side.... No turning back now.......

:D

17. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...can you get the govt employee discount directly at a physical apple store?

So many companies don't ship overseas to military addresses:mad:

18. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Wow... a Pentium 2. I didn't know any of those were still in service. :eek:

19. LynnW thread starter macrumors member

Yes, you can get the govt employees discount at the physical stores. You might have to show your govt ID.

20. sargent bannana macrumors member

congrats
    i love the free printer rebate buy a printer for $100 get $100 rebate if you were a student you cold of gotten a free ipod but i bet the government discount was way better ;)

21. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...thanks for the confirmation, I'm going on home leave in two weeks and Apple's re-shipment policy is a PITA for military addresses (I'd rather just carry it on the plane with me)...

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, for the most commonly purchased Macs, the student discount ($100/$200) beats the gov't/business discount (6%/8%).

23. LynnW thread starter macrumors member

The Imac arrived just before noon today. Unfortunately, I had a bunch of things that had to be done, so I've just got it set up and connected. There is one dead pixel in the lower right of the screen. I'm not going to complain about that.

Now, I need to get the email set up.

24. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862