Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STevil 39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
A couple of irritating things about the app that I'm wondering if anyone else experiences, or has a workaround for:

1) Sometimes when I push the talk button it transmits, sometimes it doesn't. The same thing happens for my wife as evidenced by short bursts of "silence" received on my watch from failed transmissions at her end.

2) It bugs me that the yellow walkie-talkie icon appears every at the top of my screen every time I look at my watch (the fact that it flashes on then disappears is even more annoying). I don't really need to be reminded that it's on and the button isn't even functional in that I can't tap on it to go to the walkie talkie. (Although I do get that if you're walking into church or something it would be good to be reminded that your walkie-talkie is on).

Between these two things I'm thinking of just disabling the app as I haven't found a huge use for it anyway. Have any of you found great value in the app in certain uses?

scottct1

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
Sometimes it works great, other times it sits there and says connecting to the other person and does nothing.

I have 3 Apple Watches and have been playing with it for a few days now. Not a consistent experience.

They also need to add a replay function as times you are doing something and your watch will start talking but you missed what it was saying as you were paying attention to what you were doing.

I don't like once the message plays its gone.

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
It seems to work perfectly with the other half. We have used it without fail. I did find that there is a setting that makes it a little easier in the Accessibility settings. I believe it lets you talk without holding the button down

Reactions: dcpmark

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
It seems to work perfectly with the other half. We have used it without fail. I did find that there is a setting that makes it a little easier in the Accessibility settings. I believe it lets you talk without holding the button down

Awesome tip, thanks!

STevil 39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Sometimes it works great, other times it sits there and says connecting to the other person and does nothing.

I have 3 Apple Watches and have been playing with it for a few days now. Not a consistent experience.

They also need to add a replay function as times you are doing something and your watch will start talking but you missed what it was saying as you were paying attention to what you were doing.

I really like the replay function because you're absolutely right about not picking things up the first time – especially when you're not expecting the message.

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012

You could ask them to repeat themselves....it’s not a voice memo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.