Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LbSigman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Is walkie talkie working for anyone? Not sure if turning FaceTime off due to the bug had anything to do with the functionality of the walkie talkie, but it's not working. I keep getting an error popping on my phone saying the "call" could not be initiated. I tried removing my wife as a contact, and I tried adding her back in, but now I'm getting an error saying the invite could not be sent. My wife is having the same issues as well. I tried adding my sister's boyfriend and I'm getting the same error.

We all have the latest version of iOS and WatchOS.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
My wife and I could not get ours to work either. Not sure if it is due to the FaceTime issue or something else, but we can't seem to get it to work

Walkie-talkie relies on the FaceTime service so I would imagine it’s to do with Apple turning off group FaceTime. I don’t know anyone that uses so I can’t test it myself.

Reactions: SDColorado

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
It’s never worked well for my wife and I. Faster and more convenient to call or text rather than bullish with walkie talkie.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
It’s never worked well for my wife and I. Faster and more convenient to call or text rather than bullish with walkie talkie.

The is the advantage of different options to choose from.

To us it's a great feature and certainly faster and easier than text or call. I turn the feature off during the work week and it won't bully me. On the weekend I turn it on and change my watch face with a Walkie Talkie complication.

At times we are outdoors to look for wildlife with photo equipment in the hand and we split on a trail and one person goes left, while the other goes right. In those cases it's much faster to quickly press the Walkie Talkie button and call "Found it" or something similar, then to put the camera aside and pull the phone to call or text.

I use Walkie Talkie, text and call. Which one depends on situation and length of communication.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Couldn't say. It looks/acts too much like the annoying Nextel 'squawk' crap from the '90s... absolutely not interested. I can't think of anyone that I want to "talk" to badly enough to even try it.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
I have never gotten it to work. I have had two new watches in the same room and nothing... they won't approve on each others device. super annoying.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
If you deactivated your FaceTime due to the recent bug, or if FaceTime isn’t logged into an Apple ID, then walkie talkie won’t work. Turning on FaceTime and signing back in should fix the problem. At least from my experience.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
My wife and I played with this yesterday in the house. It worked about 75% of the time. I'm sure we were holding it wrong.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I have had nothing but trouble with the feature. If I try to initiate the call it always fails. If my wife does it will work, but then once we're done talking I continue to hear a hissing from my watch's speaker. I have a series 4, she has a series 2.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have had nothing but trouble with the feature. If I try to initiate the call it always fails. If my wife does it will work, but then once we're done talking I continue to hear a hissing from my watch's speaker. I have a series 4, she has a series 2.
Weird, I have a 1 and my son has a 4. Initial connection takes several seconds (15-30?) but once connected we are able to initiate a walkie talkie connection both ways. To initiate the connection I pick the person then tap the round talk. Once it finishes connecting we hld down the talk button, say whatever needs saying, then release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.