Walkie-Talkie not on Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TS19, Apr 9, 2015.

1. TS19 macrumors member

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Between phone calls and audio messages, why do you feel that this feature is so important?

3. cardfan macrumors 65816

I think it's obvious Apple toned down some stuff in a concern about battery life. That seems to be the biggest constraint.

4. TS19 thread starter macrumors member

I wouldn't say it is 'important' on the whole, it just looked really cool.

5. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

6. TS19 thread starter macrumors member

They never actually showed it but it was on their website before the changes after the March event and Tim Cook briefly mentioned it in the September event.

7. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I don't see why a third-party developer couldn't make a walkie-talkie app. Voxer and HeyTell were popular ones on the App Store for the iPhone way back when.

8. sterl320 macrumors 6502

there's a walkie talkie app for the watch day 1.

9. TS19 thread starter macrumors member

How do you know?

10. kovey macrumors 6502a

That one AMA had more actual information than this entire forum.

----------

He doesn't.

11. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Does anyone know if there EVER really was a Walkie-Talkie feature on the phone? I suspect that some developer was showing off the ability to make phone calls to Tim Cook and said something like 'See... Just Like a Walkie-Talkie'. Sometimes marketing and development dumb down feature ideas when explaining to the CEO.

And please explain to me how making phone calls is any different than that? All I can envision is just phone calls with a bad layer of user interface.

12. kovey macrumors 6502a

Yes, it used to be on the apple site:
    [​IMG]

It's the same thing as sending voice messages through iMessage, which is actually quite popular. Sometimes you want to send a quick voice message for the person to hear/reply later, without placing a full-fledged annoying call. It seems that iMessage voice reply makes walkie talkie redundant.

[​IMG]

13. Chiguy12 macrumors member

Chiguy12

Seriously guys? If you want to use wakie talking feature it's in the messages app. When you use Siri you have the option to use dictation or your recorded voice.... That's what they meant by wakie talkie. You can already use this feature on iOS 8 iPhone by holding down the mic button

14. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

AH. Text messages that send the sound instead of text. I would guess they added that extra button to the text messages to choose to send your dictated message sound byte instead of the text and got rid of one more dot from the main page that would have been impossible to remove.

Any smart focus group would have squashed that.

I dearly hope that they will let us NOT display the built in apps that we would never use. At least we can control the groupings. I will put all of the crap off to one side.

15. sterl320 macrumors 6502

i do. go on watchaware.com, its shows all the apps so far that will be on the apple watch at launch. one of them is a walkie talkie app

----------

watchaware.com

look through the apps, one of them is a walkie talkie app.

----------

http://watchaware.com/watch-apps/page/8

third app.

16. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

WeChat? That's not a Walkie-talkie app is it?