Walking in to buy iPhone at Apple store question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hasanahmad, Sep 16, 2014.

  1. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

    May 20, 2009
    Ok i have a phone already pre ordered on apple.com but it ships in the middle end of october. I want to walk on launch date and stand in line and get the iphone but even if i cancel the order, att wont be able to see the cancellation until much later and people would have already run off with the phone.

    I want to know if I can walk into the apple store, buy the phone at full price while cancelling my pre order from apple at the same time. Then when the upgrade eligibility is enabled again, I go back to the Apple store and then get the phone attached to my ATT renewed acct and get the refund between the subsidized price and the full price.

    Can I do this?

  2. Cabby macrumors regular

    Jun 28, 2010
    Sounds like a HUGE headache, just wait it out to get the phone you ordered. You'll likely survive the wait.
  3. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

    May 20, 2009
    I am already on a flip phone as I sold my iPhone 5. its not easy
  4. sholzer macrumors regular

    Jun 21, 2013
    I doubt it, but you never know. If you want a regular 6, just cancel and go stand in line. It sounds like there will be plenty of stock in stores
  5. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

    May 20, 2009
    6+ I plan to stand in line at 5 am
  6. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

    Aug 20, 2008
    I don't think you'd be able to get a refund. You could possibly return the phone and then buy another one, but they would have to have stock in order for that to work, and I wouldn't count on it.
  7. bizzy045 macrumors 6502


    Oct 5, 2011
    I originally ordered a 6 plus on from the apple store app on my iPad. I was able to cancel this order online, and my ATT eligibility reset immediately. I called ATT and they said it might take 2-3 business days, but that was not the case for me.

    You should be able to wait in line, see if they have the phone you want, then cancel. It should reset the eligibility right away like it did for me, and you will be able to purchase the new phone.
  8. Cabby macrumors regular

    Jun 28, 2010
    Survival still looks likely.
  9. PrestonWard macrumors member

    Jul 30, 2012
    You are forgetting that on launch day ATT's severs are going to be slammed with activation requests as will their customer service.
  10. jlake02 macrumors 68020


    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm in a similar situation. Here's my plan:

    1) Going to camp at 3AM.

    2) Once Apple starts handing out reservations for spots in line I will (triple) confirm that they have the 128GB Plus that I want. I will also ask them if I should cancel my preorder or if they can do that when I checkout (without eligibility issues.)

    3) Go on my phone and cancel my pre-order. Hope that AT&T resets the upgrade eligibility in time.

    4) If AT&T is slow (wouldn't surprise me) I'm going to use my daughter's upgrade. When I get home I will call AT&T to switch the phone to my number. If for some crazy reason that doesn't work (which it should) I will try to pay cash for the phone.

  11. jetlagged macrumors 6502

    Sep 6, 2012
    wait, so is the local apple store going to have full price iphones available for sale then?

    because i read in this forum a couple days ago the apple stores weren't going to sell full price iphones. the only reason why i would buy full price is to keep my unlimited data plan. if they are, then it just might be worth it to wait in line.

Share This Page