Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guychicago

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Chicago
I updated to iOS 8.2 on my iPhone 6 and the walking + running distance measurement is broken. It captures my steps calculated accurately but not the WR distance.
Anyone else experience this?

Walkerdt

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
My iPhone 6 was fine until the 8.2 update. The steps work but not the walking portion. Anyone got an idea on how to get this reset?

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Yea step tracking is completely screwed up in 8.2. If any steps do get captured, I would say probably 1% of my steps. I usually walk 6K steps a day but my phone tracked 500 steps.

I tried restoring to 8.2 and also downgrading to 8.1.3 but I still am unable to track my steps!

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
went to the apple store and did a 'Reset All Settings' it started working fine but then after a few hours, it stopped tracking again.

fongyuen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Is it a known issue that the steps don't update anymore in real time in 8.2? I just noticed it the other day, at least on my phone. I used to be able to hold the phone and walk and see the step counter increase in number in about 4-5 step increments. Now it doesn't do that anymore. Anyone else have this issue?

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I went for a short walk to the grocery store yesterday and the Health app on my 5S running 8.2 reported it as 1.46 miles. It has worked 3 days out of 3.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I updated to iOS 8.2 on my iPhone 6 and the walking + running distance measurement is broken. It captures my steps calculated accurately but not the WR distance.
Anyone else experience this?

Does the Walking and Running just flat line at 0? I had this problem in iOS 8.0.2, and it really sucked :(.

Walkerdt

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
It will show a .1 or .2 for a walk of 7 miles. How did you fix it?

Last edited:

Walkerdt

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
I found a fix on a different thread. the 8.2 update modified/changed the height incorrectly. if you go and remove and re-add a data point in the height area of the health data, it will begin working. good luck.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I have a problem with the cycling. After a bike ride it shows I climbed a bunch of stairs. I rode 26 miles yesterday, the phone said I climbed 14 flights of steps and traveled 1.4 miles. The cycling distance is fed into Health via Strava and it did this correctly for my cycling distance and time but the data collected from the phone was not right. It has an issue with knowing that I went for a ride and excluding the data during that time. It should see that I was not walking based on the fact that it has access to ride data, the day/time and speed.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Just an relatively uninterested third party comment, but I was having a problem with something on the iPhone after an update, and I tried 'everything' to get it solved. I think I even posted a rant here.

BUT THEN...

I rebooted my iPhone, and problem solved... I felt silly, and then thought that I have gotten used to, now, installing updates and not rebooting, and maybe this would be fixed with a reboot, and maybe not, but I'll have to remind myself that in the future, rebooting the darn thing should be one of the first things I do.

Oh, I remember, it was with the Nike+ app. I couldn't get it to work to save my butt, and I was mystified, pissed, and 'not happy'. Plus getting ready to travel, and wanted to pop the latest wanderings into the Nike+ ether, and well, not feeling the love. A reboot, and things worked again. YMMV...

----------

I have a problem with the cycling. After a bike ride it shows I climbed a bunch of stairs. I rode 26 miles yesterday, the phone said I climbed 14 flights of steps and traveled 1.4 miles. The cycling distance is fed into Health via Strava and it did this correctly for my cycling distance and time but the data collected from the phone was not right. It has an issue with knowing that I went for a ride and excluding the data during that time. It should see that I was not walking based on the fact that it has access to ride data, the day/time and speed.

Oh... That sucks. And I'm not being flippant either.

I am using a Garmin edge 810 for my biking telemetry. Call me old fashioned, many do, but I'd rather have a dedicated device log everything than rely on an app. Although, my Edge did bite me, pretty hard too. There was a bug in one of their firmware versions that did not save the ride telemetry between rides if you didn't synch it before turning it off. Oh, and the Garmin app wouldn't synch the data without spending a frustrating amount of time, and having a lot of luck, but they fixed the saving the data problem... I 'lost' some really awesome rides that I'd have liked to have kept the data from, but that's life I guess.

I'm looking seriously at getting the Garmin fenix 3 now instead of an Apple Watch, because it's capable of doing all of the telemetry I think I'd ever need. (And the Apple Watch doesn't do ANT+, AFAIK)

Plus I found Strava as being too tied to one brand of sensor, and the Garmin works, so far, with everything I've thrown at it. It works with the DuoTrap on my Trek, and it's one less thing that I have to futz with.

Climb on, hold on, and go. Simple works...

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
----------

[/COLOR]

Oh... That sucks. And I'm not being flippant either.

I am using a Garmin edge 810 for my biking telemetry. Call me old fashioned, many do, but I'd rather have a dedicated device log everything than rely on an app. Although, my Edge did bite me, pretty hard too. There was a bug in one of their firmware versions that did not save the ride telemetry between rides if you didn't synch it before turning it off. Oh, and the Garmin app wouldn't synch the data without spending a frustrating amount of time, and having a lot of luck, but they fixed the saving the data problem... I 'lost' some really awesome rides that I'd have liked to have kept the data from, but that's life I guess.

I'm looking seriously at getting the Garmin fenix 3 now instead of an Apple Watch, because it's capable of doing all of the telemetry I think I'd ever need. (And the Apple Watch doesn't do ANT+, AFAIK)

Plus I found Strava as being too tied to one brand of sensor, and the Garmin works, so far, with everything I've thrown at it. It works with the DuoTrap on my Trek, and it's one less thing that I have to futz with.

Climb on, hold on, and go. Simple works...

I'm using a Garmin 500. I only use Strava as a way to feed data from my Garmin to the Health app. I have my iPhone in my center pocket when I ride but I don't use it for logging my ride. My Garmin data is fed into MyFitnessPal too so I can track my calories burned along with my calories taken in. My cadence sensor and heart rate strap are both ANT+ so far as I know so they would not work with the iPhone anyhow. (both Garmin and part of the 500 kit bought a few years ago)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I'm using a Garmin 500. I only use Strava as a way to feed data from my Garmin to the Health app. I have my iPhone in my center pocket when I ride but I don't use it for logging my ride. My Garmin data is fed into MyFitnessPal too so I can track my calories burned along with my calories taken in. My cadence sensor and heart rate strap are both ANT+ so far as I know so they would not work with the iPhone anyhow. (both Garmin and part of the 500 kit bought a few years ago)

Wow, you sound like more of a lab rat than I do. How easy is 'myfitnesspal' to use? The spouse used a program years ago that 'required' everything eaten to be entered, which I realize is the point, but almost nothing was in their system. Everything had to be typed in, and it got to be horribly time consuming, and was dropped.

I didn't know if the Apple Watch would use ANT+, and, on some levels, are surprised they skipped that as a supported protocol, but after running into some compatibility issues earlier between ANT+ vendors, I can imagine why.

I've had mixed success with the Garmin app syncing the 810, so I usually always ignore the pair messages and sync through the USB when I get home.

Curious too, have you thought of the fenix 3 as an Edge/whatever replacement? It seems to have all the bells and whistles that would make it hard to not want one.

Thanks for the comment back. I want/have to get in better shape soon. Had a rough couple of months post knee surgery. Gained a few.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Wow, you sound like more of a lab rat than I do. How easy is 'myfitnesspal' to use? The spouse used a program years ago that 'required' everything eaten to be entered, which I realize is the point, but almost nothing was in their system. Everything had to be typed in, and it got to be horribly time consuming, and was dropped.

I didn't know if the Apple Watch would use ANT+, and, on some levels, are surprised they skipped that as a supported protocol, but after running into some compatibility issues earlier between ANT+ vendors, I can imagine why.

I've had mixed success with the Garmin app syncing the 810, so I usually always ignore the pair messages and sync through the USB when I get home.

Curious too, have you thought of the fenix 3 as an Edge/whatever replacement? It seems to have all the bells and whistles that would make it hard to not want one.

Thanks for the comment back. I want/have to get in better shape soon. Had a rough couple of months post knee surgery. Gained a few.

MyFitnessPal requires you to enter what you eat but has millions of items in their database. You can scan bar-codes too if you have a packaged food. It will sync with Garmin once you setup the connection between the services.

I have not thought of a replacement for the 500 because it works fine. I track my rides and look back on the data as a reference over time. I used to stare at the display pushing myself but gave that up and instead just ride hard and look back at the data at home. The 500 requires a USB connection.

I think at this point ANT+ is about done in lieu of bluetooth. You can already buy replacements in bluetooth that work with the iPhone and since the watch is an extension of that I suspect we will see some applications that will make use of the watch and the sensors together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.