Wall chargers damaging my ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Macfisto, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Macfisto macrumors member

I have bought last week 2 ipod (Touch) wall chargers And I have some issues and want to see if any of you had similar issues (with this or any other chargers). And before anyone jump on me for buying this “cheap” charger, please consider the reviews for the product and other ones on this site….this site and their products are apparently usually very good!

Both of them do exactly the same: the ipod is “buggy” when plugged in. I wanted the charger for charging of course but also to be able to use the Ipod using electricity instead of the battery when I am sitting on my living room chair to listen to music.

But when I do this, selecting music is difficult. The scrolling, when selecting a song, does not follow exactly my finger and the screen is late/shaking. Same thing when in Maps and google maps street view. If I keep my finger on the screen without moving it, the screen shakes (why?).

I tried with both chargers and they do the same thing. I tried not plugged in and the Ipod works perfectly, everything is smooth. I tried with the Apple provided USB cable (to PC) and also works perfectly. So I am worried about those chargers.

Not only are they buggy, creating visual/scrolling issues on my ipod, but also very worried that it might not work correctly and might damage the battery and/or the ipod! Therefore I am not sure I want to plug them in anymore and take a chance they would break the Ipod (bought 3 weeks ago! A sep 2009 version)…and would therefore give them a really bad reviews.

In other reviews I read on the site, no where does someone mention this…but then again, did they try the ipod when charging? Perhaps the charging part is fine (and wouldn’t damage the Ipod) but what about using it when plugged in? Did anyone actually do this and seen if it was ok or not.

Anyway, thought I should ask first your opinion and see if any of you have seen/experienced this and if it’s an issue (worst comes to worst I would use it only for charging…but not if it could damage my ipod).

Very disappointed that I can’t use the Ipod when charging…and possibly damaging it!

Thanks for your responses

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I only have an Apple wall charger - the older style that is a bigger "brick". I use it all the time when it's plugged in - the plug is next to my bed, so it's easy. I haven't had any of the things you have experienced happen since i have been doing this since July/August.

Have you tried them on another outlet?

Do you have anyway to put a volt meter on the outlet and see if the right amount of power is coming thru?

that would be my biggest worry as far as damage goes. I don't have any other experience to offer. It seems strange and i'd be leery of them too.

3. Macfisto thread starter macrumors member

Yes I can possibly try this on another outlet and see what it does.

Also, wanted to add, I was using Remote and Maps...therefore Wifi...perhaps that didn't go to well with the charger...I can try without wifi on!

4. rls11286 macrumors newbie

i just had to get my ipod swapped out because for some reason i turned it off one day to restart it and it never turned back on. i havent had a single problem with this ipod until i purchased a wall charger for it on ebay. i too thought this was a good product since i have bought numerous other products before from the same seller with no problem but i experienced the shakiness/bugginess of the ipod while being plugged in and i absolutely think that charger is what caused the damage to my ipod. as much as it sucks, i think im gonna have to stick with the official charger from the apple store, even if it is six times what i paid for the one on ebay

my suggestion - get rid of that charger asap and purchase one directly from apple