Wall Mounts Exist?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by aerodoc, Dec 2, 2009.

1. aerodoc macrumors member

Are there any nice looking wall mounts that exist where the power cord could be hidden? I am thinking of a simple plastic bezel that would only show the screen.

I am wanting to permanently mount the phone to the wall for a specific application, but want it to have a clean look as well (i.e. no big speakers, etc.)

2. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    i'll have to drum it up... but i think i saw one "integrated" into a light switch on the wall or a poweroutlet.......

3. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

My application is for home automation where I can control lighting the radio, iTunes, Media Center, etc. from my bedside. Sometimes home automation types do tend to go overboard though and do things out of curiousity as well. I am not one for following the herd, but rather setting the pace.

Anyway, it looks like there aren't any real options out there so I may have to look at custom solutions.

4. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Do us all a favor and post a youtube video of you talking to
    your phone, with it on it's new wallmount. kthxbye.
    That will probably make my year.
    :eek:

5. GabooN macrumors regular

wouldn't an iPod touch be better suited to the job or are there functions the phone has that you would need. Unless it was a non-active iPhone on a cell/data plan.

6. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I have a customer that perfects this profile. :D

Don't have any clue what software and hardware he is using (I'm guessing the software is a type of secure web interface), but, IIRC, he can do some of his home automation functions on his iPhone. Never really talked with him about it....

7. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

You can do just about anything you want as far as home automation goes. I just want to control lights, the radio, iTunes, and a few other simple tasks.

Yeah, an iTouch would be better suited, but I happen to have an extra phone so I can just use that.

Anyway, don't worry about it, this is clearly the wrong forum. I tried to ask a simple question and people always want to give you a hard time eventhough it is obvious they have not the first clue about home automation, etc. (which I have been doing for several years now)

http://store.homeseer.com/store/HST...oftware-Standard-Edition-HomeSeer-P634C5.aspx

8. lollicup macrumors regular

I just don't understand why you would do this with a PHONE, its not meant to be stuck to a wall !

As others have mentioned an ipod touch makes more sense

Just by an iPhone dock and call it a day ( you are honestly using the wrong tool for the job you want... its like using a toaster to cook a steak)

9. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

What do you suggest as a better tool then?

If you are suggesting the iTouch, consider

- I HAVE an EXTRA iPhone
    - I WANT to continue to HAVE an extra iPhone as a backup. I don't plan on getting rid of it anyway.
    - I have ZERO need for an ADDITIONAL iTouch

Gee, don't you think I am aware of what an iTouch is and what it is capable of? And what is this dock you mention? I have never heard of such a thing. I am sure it would look great and not stick out of the wall or have a cord making it stick way out. How could I not have thought of this. I am sure you have some more Star Trek pictures to add now, so go for it.

Not worth anymore of my time. Have fun.

10. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    x2 well at least keep me posted on what you do, sounds interesting and it's got to be out there.... an ipod touch is probably best because i'm assuming the interface will work via wifi/web so you should be able to change setting over the web with iphone when you are away?

ever check out www.instructables.com? or www.thingiverse.com

EDIT: found this: iphone home controller
    EDIT: hacknmod

11. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I've seen them on HGTV before - an in wall mount for the iPod, iPhone and it was specifically used for home automation. I don't remember the brand name, but it does exist.