Wall Mounts

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hakstern, Jun 6, 2016.

1. hakstern macrumors newbie

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I'm not sure the 2013 27" iMac is VESA compatible and can be wall mounted safely. I have the same model as you do and decided not to try it. However, if you would like to shop around, Amazon has a variety of wall mount kits including the Apple VESA wall mount adapter. Check it out here.

3. hakstern thread starter macrumors newbie

So does this mean i need to buy the VESA adapter then put it onto the mac and then attach it to my wall mount?

Sorry a bit confused lol, as the guy from apple store here told me any imac can be mounted just need to remove the back stand and thats it. Doesn't matter which model etc.

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Yeah, the whole wall mount procedure is confusing. I just remembered why I decided not to try it. The VESA kits do not work on an iMac later than 2011. In other words, you and I can't use it. See the following Apple KB information: LINK

If you notice your iMac back panel stand is attached right above the air exhaust fins and memory door. The chassis is too thin to support the VESA mount adapter and it would interfere with cooling and memory change out. The earlier models don't have that problem because of the way they're vented and memory door being on the bottom below the display.

There may be other ways to do the mounting but that may require more work than it's worth.

5. hakstern thread starter macrumors newbie

dang well this sucks lol so the dude at apple store pretty much lied probably didn't even know anything -,-

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The old iMacs had a mounting system that allowed the stand to be released and removed from the outside and replaced with a VESA mount. Reverting back to the stand was equally simple.

The new iMac does not have a quick-release mount, and must be totally disassembled (difficult!) in order to remove the stand and replace it with a VESA mount (if you can find one). There are several external stand/VESA adapters which will allow you to mount the iMac with stand to a VESA mount, but they seem a bit awkward and most don't care for the looks of it (although the stand does create a "shelf" that moves with the iMac which could hold a optical drive, external disk drive, or other equipment).

Here is one example of such an adapter:
    http://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Adapter-...65321089&ref_=sr_1_1&s=office-products&sr=1-1

7. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I have 2 iMacs custom ordered from Apple with VESA mounts, a 2013 and a 2015, both 27" models and the VESA mounts themselves look identical to the other two older iMacs that I installed Apple VESA mounts on to, a 2009 and 2011 both 27".

The problem, I believe is that you would have to completely disassemble the imac in order to install the VESA mount on 2012 and newer models.

I just had a 2012 completely stripped down to replace the logic board and now wish I would have checked the stand mounting point to see if that is even an option at all, though definitely not as easy as it once was.