Wall Paaper Remains on Screen After System 4 Update

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by warburg, Jun 22, 2010.

1. warburg macrumors 6502a

Aftrt I updated to iphone System 4, I am unable to get my wall paper off the screen. It remains in the background ater I press the home button to see the apps. Also, I am unable to change the wallpaper. It seems stuck there. What to do :confused:

2. rickdude40 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem, after updating to IOS4 now my wallpaper is shown with all the app symbols on top, instead of the app symbols on a black background.

3. codenamecueball macrumors regular

Screenshots would help... because it sounds like someone didn't read the update list. To change it, Settings > General > Wallpaper > Tap the pictures > choose photo > choose for lock screen or home or both > enjoy

4. jtopnik macrumors newbie

Does the upgrade on a 3G to 4.0 software allow for the main apps pages to have a picture? for some reason I can set a picture to main screen but not the apps screens?

5. Droid13 macrumors regular

New Feature

iOS 4 allows you to set two different wallpapers - one that replaces the original black background that sat behind the apps, and one that appears when you lock the screen as before. These can both be set as pointed out below:

Also, I am not sure I follow which screens are referred to here:

From what appeared on the main rumours forum, it isn't possible to do custom backgrounds for the 3G:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/22/steve-jobs-on-lack-of-custom-wallpapers-in-ios-4-for-iphone-3g/

Is this what you are referring to?

6. Shwonx macrumors member

Yea.... the main feature of iOS 4 is the introduction of background wallpapers on our homescreens.

It's not a glitch or anything. Embrace it.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Off-topic, but have you been a long time Mac user? "System 4" the good ole days. :D

8. rickdude40 macrumors newbie

9. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

This didn't work for me, so I went to the Genius Bar at the 67th Street store in New York. The "Genius" had never encountered this problem before so he didn't know how to handle it. What he did was what he called a "walk around." He somehow procured a black background photo and placed it in my Camera Roll. He told me that this would remain as long as I didn't remove the photo.

When I got home I did a Restore. Now, when I go to Settings and choose a wallpaper, I get only two alternative choices: "Set" and "Cancel." The former alternatives have disappeared. I get: Settings>Wallpaper>and two choices, "Wallpaper" and "Camera Roll," wich shows the black photo. I'm afraid to remove the black photo from the Camera Roll because it may leave me with the same problem again.

10. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apparently this only happens with a 3Gs. Why in the world would you want a wallpaper picture behind your apps? It's a messy look, and I did what I could to get rid of it. I certainly want to make sure it doesn't happen when I buy the new G4 phone!

11. Droid13 macrumors regular

There is no way to turn off the background wallpaper behind the apps, but the workaround that the Genius used would continue to work - your wallpaper options would be a plain black rectangle for the home screen (ie keep this in your camera roll or add a black rectangle to your iPhoto library) and a photo of your choice for the lock screen.

12. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's terrible :eek: Thanks for the explanation. I'll be sure to keep the black rectangle in my iphoto library. If I change wallpapers would the distinction between the picture on the lock screen and the black rectangle behind the apps be preserved :confused:

I'm really surprised that nobody else is complaining about this. It's distracting to have a wallpaper design or photo behind your apps. It certainly doesn't add to the distinctive appearance of the app icons.

13. Droid13 macrumors regular

It should be ok

The wallpaper settings for home screen and lock screen are independent - when you change wallpapers you are prompted to select whether you would like this new wallpaper to be displayed on the home screen (behind the apps), on the lock screen, or on both. Selecting "Set for Lock Screen" should not affect the black rectangle behind the apps.

14. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks again for the clarification. As I said, I'm amazed that there has been so little comment on this significant change, which results in a jumble of wallpaper imagery and apps that hardly seems to be attractive or useful. None of the reviews of iOS4 that I read mentioned it.