Wall-to-wall carpet and allergies.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HarryPot, Jun 26, 2014.

1. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Has anyone here found that their allergies stopped/diminished after removing carpet from their homes?

I've been suffering from red/irritated eyes and a heavy head feeling when waking up, which I'm almost certain has something to do with my room. Whenever I travel I immediately sleep better.

I currently have wall-to-wall carpet in my bedroom. And I'm thinking about getting rid of it. Just not sure if this will really be the answer.

I already changed all my bed clothing and pillow to hypoallergenic materials. And frankly, I felt no difference.

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Allergies are a very complicated subject. (I know, I've suffered - on and off - for almost my whole life.)

The fact that your allergies go away when you travel suggests there is something in your home that is causing a problem. It might be dust caught in your bedroom carpet. Then again, it might be a lot of other things, including the detergent you use, the paint on your walls, or something else completely.

Sorry if thats not much help. I would definitely consider removing carpet, and going to hardwood floors - but be prepared to accept that this might not eliminate the problem.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'd visit an allergist first. That way you will know what it is that is bothering you. Then you can more effectively act to alleviate the problem.

If you have pets it could be something they bring in from outside. Perhaps you need to keep them out of your room or at least off your bed.

You may need to upgrade your home air filtration such as a Honeywell Merv 13 5" filter. This has to be professionally installed on your HVAC. Be sure the place is reputable.

The place I used cut the furnace open. Separated the sections. Put in the filter box. Then just joined them together with tape. I found this out a couple years later. When I started replacing filter myself and the noticed intake box had fallen off. I then fabricated a proper intake box out of sheet metal, riveted and caulked everything and installed the duct work on the new intake.

Be sure they also upgrade your blower motor. No matter what BS line they feed you. The filter greatly reduces airflow. You need a higher CFM blower to compensate. Otherwise you may end up with vents that have little or no air flow.