Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwmreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Wallet formerly sold and supported by Acrylic Software appears to have died on May 1st, 2013. The app no longer syncs its database no matter what method is attempted.

iOS devices running the app go through the motions, but nothing happens. Macs on the other hand display this error:

SYNC FAILED

Dropbox connection failed (The operation couldn’t be completed. (dropbox.com error 400.)).

Note sure if the problem is with the app or Dropbox. Since the app isn't supported any longer I'm probably SOL.

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Wallet formerly sold and supported by Acrylic Software appears to have died on May 1st, 2013. The app no longer syncs its database no matter what method is attempted.

iOS devices running the app go through the motions, but nothing happens. Macs on the other hand display this error:

SYNC FAILED

Dropbox connection failed (The operation couldn’t be completed. (dropbox.com error 400.)).

Note sure if the problem is with the app or Dropbox. Since the app isn't supported any longer I'm probably SOL.

It's possible that they use the old Dropbox API. Dropbox shut this down last month I think.

But yes. Wallet is mostly dead. The developer now works for Facebook

dwmreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Update

Yep. I contacted Dropbox and they told me the following...

Hi David,

Thanks for writing in. It sounds like the third party app you're using hasn't yet been updated to use the new version of the Dropbox API, which was introduced in Oct 2011. The old version of the API was recently disabled. If you need to use this app, the developer of the app will need to update it to use the new version of the API. You should check to see if an update for the app is already available. Otherwise, you may wish to contact the developer of the app to let them know that you aren't able to use the Dropbox integration.

Sorry I can't be more of a help!​

I reached out to Dustin - I've been in touch with him in the past. I've even reviewed Wallet - positively. I'm glad to hear that an update might be forthcoming. I'm in the process of asking Apple to yank it from the app store because of the broken syncing and lack of support. Now your telling me an update is coming? Dustin needs to update the app store. People will be pissed off if they spend $20 on it and it doesn't sync. In my case owning and using one my of own domains I was able to set up WebDav syncing, but not every one can do that.

If Dustin isn't going to support the app 100% he should consider releasing the source into the public domain under Creative Commons or something. I have so much stuff stuffed into that app right now that due to its circumstances I'm looking for a replacement.

The replacement looks like it will be the sham wow of apps - 1Password. Which I think is overly complicated yet a lot more refined than some aspects of Wallet. Basically I just wanted something to hold all my serial, numbers, etc. in. It's important that it work since it is key element of my "estate" should something happen to me, etc.

So I'm up and running on WebDav for now and btw the iOS app doesn't even give an error message when the sync fails. It acts like nothing is wrong. Additionally you might pass on to him that wifi sync is acting like it is broken, etc.

Rivermanb

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
When?

Is this update really going to happen? If it is not going to happen, then just let users know - they have been totally irresponsible so far. I have a significant time investment ahead of me if I need to switch apps.

pwSafe might be an alternative. Anyone have any experience with it?

Jonathansm

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
Lets hope they fix this. But then again maybe this is a good time to move to something different.

duckydan

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
I love Wallet

Man, I have so much data in Wallet. I use it every day. Moving to something else is such a pain. I really can't think of a more difficult transition. You can move from one Word processor to another, one web-based CMS, even move from SQL Server to MySQL. But Wallet and the other packages out there all have super-specific file formats, and I have carefully customize Wallet over to to be just how I like. It's the very first app I load when I "move" into a new Mac, for example. Man, if this were made public domain, or CC licensed, that would be fantastic. I am thinking of moving to pwSafe specifically because it's open source and on Mac and iOS and currently supported.

TheMadCow

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Sync Options

I setup an account with Cloudsafe since they offer secure and free storage. They also offer WebDAV access. I enabled my account, created a Safe (called wallet) and remember to enable WebDAV. They'll provide you with the address, user name and a password specific to WebDAV access.

It will sync and you'll be good to go.

-Geoff

nostra999

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2008
Gutted to hear this app is now broken :(

Twitter suggests that a fix is being worked on but that was over 20 days ago

Maybe time to start looking for a replacement service

lavarae

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
an option

I've signed up for a trial mydisk account which uses WebDAV and have successfully got my Wallet syncing up and running again - http://mydisk.com - I think it is free for a month.

I'm not sure what I will do after the month's trial is over. It seems to me Dustin really needs to pull his finger out and let his customers know what is happening so we can make an informed decision.

warnerjohnston

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
Recent Tweet from Dustin

Dustin tweeted 14 hours ago - "Wallet users: a new update has been submitted to Apple that fixes Dropbox syncing. It also includes retina display support."

Whew!

echobing

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
relieved user

This has been vexing me since the start of May so i'm glad to hear that an update has been posted. Not showing yet but fingers crossed

BigMark

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2009
Dustin tweeted 14 hours ago - "Wallet users: a new update has been submitted to Apple that fixes Dropbox syncing. It also includes retina display support."

I'm Super happy to hear there'll be an update soon, but I bought directly from Acrylic. Will we have an update too?

My Wallet is stupidly customized, used every day on my Mac, Macbook, iPad and iPhone and I have 1000's of items in 50 or so Wallets, including a wallet for very person I supply tech support for.

Mark.

tapoensgen

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
London
Possible workaround

In the absence of an update, there are a two possible options.

- Use WebDAV to sync to Google Drive (you may need an app to assist) or any WebDAV capable online storage. Many ISPs with an online Drive have this capability.

- If you use Wallet on the iPhone, sync to the iPhone and then get the iPhone to sync to Dropbox. This works fine and at least saves your wallet db externally. A word of caution though. The Mac -> iPhone Wallet sync is unidirectional, i.e. it syncs only the info from your Mac to your iPhone and not vice versa. I have queried this with Acrylic, but no response.

Wallet works well on both the Mac and the iPhone and all it needs really is the Dropbox API update. We can only live in hope that Acrylic performs this update, which shouldn't be a major effort. Keep emailing them!

To be on the safe side, I shall test a few replacement apps. The key feature needs to be the ability to import the Wallet xml db into another app. If that works we can rest easy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like this app is similar to 1Password, in the event that you get tired of waiting for the developer to fix it. Would that be a viable alternative?

Rivermanb

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
Possible Workaround Comment

Good suggestion above about using WIFI sync. But as mentioned, it is only one way from Mac to devices. So this helpful but extremely limited.

You have to designate one Mac the "master" where all changes are initiated and then WIFI sync to a device, then sync device to Dropbox, then sync via Dropbox to other devices.

You cannot initiate changes on any device (no way to get the changes back to the "master" Mac). If you have more than one Mac, you are out of luck even if the two Macs are collocated (which mine are not) because you cannot sync Mac to Mac over WIFI.

I really need the multiple Mac scenario.

Also one feature that Wallet has that many do not is the ability to store files (e.g. pdf's) in the Wallet. This is a must. DataVault says it will "be included in our next major revision".

It would be a major pain to switch Apps. If the update has been submitted as indicated, how long does it take Apple to approve an update?

Rivermanb

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
New version out BUT there is a BIG problem

I have tested this for over 2 hours and I see a problem. Please try and confirm or tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I can create new entries on the Mac and see them on the device after syncing both.
I can modify entries on either the Mac or device and see them after syncing both.
I CANNOT create new entries on a device and see them on the MAC or other devices after syncing all devices.

This is simple to test.
Create a new entry on a device (iPad or iPhone, I tired both). Sync the device. Now sync your Mac. I DO NOT SEE the new entry on the Mac.

It is acting like new entries created on a device are not really put in the database.

Those of you with connections with the developer, please pass on.

tapoensgen

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
London
re: New version out BUT there is a BIG problem

The updated version fixes the Dropbox sync issues and comes with updated Chrome and Safari plugins as well. Good work.

The only issue remaining is the unidirectional sync of Wallet (for Mac) with iPhone/iPad. Rivermanb points out the problem clearly. Worse still, since the mobile device can sync to Dropbox as well, sync conflicts may arise as a result. By that I mean that, say, you might create a new entry on your iPhone and then sync to Dropbox. If you subsequently sync the Mac App (without the new entry) to Dropbox, the wallet.db file may get overwritten and your new entry is then not backed up. An undesirable scenario.

I have pointed this out to Acrylic a while back, but the iPhone/iPad App has not been updated. Let's hope they will work on it...

viljoendale

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
Sapporo, Japan
All my data was deleted on update

On updating Wallet I am left with a blank, new interface with no data. I can only access my data by returning to the previous version that does not sync with dropbox.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.