Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
I'm looking for a high-quality case for the iPhone X that can carry a couple of credit cards and perhaps a bill or two, but I want one that also protects the bottom of the phone. Doesn't really matter if it's a folio case or one with slots on the back. Many (Apple's Folio Case, Twelve South's various models, Vaja, etc.) have bumpers or shells that don't cover the bottom or top edge of the phone. Nomad's version looks nice, but the reviews aren't good, and the Spigen CS model that my spouse tried was only OK (and bulky).

Any suggestions? I'd probably go with Apple's version if it protected the bottom edge of the phone, but it doesn't and I'll keep looking.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Many thanks. It's too bad that case doesn't seem to have made its way to the US yet. I don't mind the Apple version; I just wish it protected the bottom of the phone. I'm not hard on my phones, but they get used A LOT. I'm using a Presidio Grip case on my iPhone X right now, and it's to me a great combination of great protection, minimal bulk, and decent looks (at least in the dark blue/black combo). I just don't worry about how I place it on any surface, or what may rub against it in a backpack or pocket. Something similar that could hold a couple of cards and a few bills would be great for the occasional week-end use.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Burkley's wallet case covers all 4 sides and has integrated buttons that still have a nice 'clicky' feeling. Most of the other wallets (besides apples folio) have cutouts instead of buttons.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Many thanks. It's too bad that case doesn't seem to have made its way to the US yet. I don't mind the Apple version; I just wish it protected the bottom of the phone. I'm not hard on my phones, but they get used A LOT. I'm using a Presidio Grip case on my iPhone X right now, and it's to me a great combination of great protection, minimal bulk, and decent looks (at least in the dark blue/black combo). I just don't worry about how I place it on any surface, or what may rub against it in a backpack or pocket. Something similar that could hold a couple of cards and a few bills would be great for the occasional week-end use.

Well, most Americans would never spend that kind of money on a case.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Well, most Americans would never spend that kind of money on a case.

The average American? Hard to say. The average Apple user? Almost certainly. 13,000円 is about $110 USD and that’s only marginally more than Apple’s own leather offerings. If it’s a quality leather (Japanese made? Almost certainly is) I would say it’s well worth the price. I have spent many times that on a quality wallet.

I happen to really like the products from Vaja and they can be $150-300... very nice products every Vaja case I have owned outlasted the phone. My Vaja made wallet is 8 years old and still looks beautiful.

Ultimately it’s all relative to your situation and what you consider reasonable.

Reactions: Archer1440

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I'm happy with the Journal for iPhone X from TwelveSouth. Truly FULL bottom protection you seem to be looking for would cover lightning port and speakers, which is not very practical.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Not sure that's a good idea. Lose your phone, credit cards and cash all at once. How do you then get home? I got a freebie from my bank that glued on the back of my phone where I kept $20 or so for an emergency. However after a few weeks I got tired of the extra thickness it added to my case so I dumped it.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Not sure that's a good idea. Lose your phone, credit cards and cash all at once. How do you then get home? I got a freebie from my bank that glued on the back of my phone where I kept $20 or so for an emergency. However after a few weeks I got tired of the extra thickness it added to my case so I dumped it.

Haven't lost so much as a set of keys since I was 16 years old. Could it happen? Sure. Not going to change my lifestyle over a 'what if."

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
I'm happy with the Journal for iPhone X from TwelveSouth. Truly FULL bottom protection you seem to be looking for would cover lightning port and speakers, which is not very practical.

The kind of bottom protection I'm talking about is what you get with a Speck Presidio case (or the dozens of similar shell cases) that have cut outs for the lightening port and speaker/mic. That's a heck of lot more protection than basically an open side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.