Wallpaper bug

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by applefan12345, Sep 25, 2014.

1. applefan12345, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

applefan12345 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has experienced the following bug. And if so, if there is currently a fix.

When I try to set a high res image from my photos app as my wallpaper, the wallpaper looks like a lower resolution image. However, the original image on the photo app looks very high res. I have attached two images as an example.

I am on 8.0.2 and tried it with both perspective zoom off and on with the same results.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

Noticed it. Probably because of performance issues with the lock screen/ parallax effect

3. applefan12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

is it because the image is too large?

4. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

5. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

No, i tested with multiple sizes. It saves it in sam sort of cache to speed up the lock screen but it saves both lower resolution with lower quality/ more compression. I think this is unacceptable. We should go back to non retine while we're at it

6. Ray777 macrumors newbie

Happening with more people (if not everyone who has ios 8/8.0.2

I' noticed the same, straight after updating from ios 7 to 8.:(

I use always my own photo's (even very high-res imported from my Mac)
    --They used to zoom in inside the 'set wallpaper setting' just fine on ios 7

but since ios 8 inside the 'set wallpaper setting' they always look pixelated when zooming in.
    Yet inside photos app, or any album opening app, they all zoom in just fine pixel-perfect sharp.

--It's Happening with more people (if not everyone who is running ios 8/8.0.2)

I think we haven't heard it much yet, because it is not the first thing most people are looking at (trying to change)

Here are two links of people noticing the same bug.
    from my own thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1782200

and another forum
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6540122?start=0&tstart=0

I sure hope apple notices this as well, because it is a serious bug
    Just think of all the people wanting to use a picture from vacation, or loved-one as a wallpaper.... they will look AWEFUL!:eek:

7. Saffy66 macrumors newbie

Saffy66

Just a thought - I have no idea what perspective zoom is, but does it make a difference if it's set to 'on' rather than 'off'? I just reset my wallpaper and mine always has PZ on. The pic is as clear as ever.

I'm on a 4S with 8.0.2.

8. NoBoMac macrumors 65816

Had similar "problem" in 7.

Work-around that worked for me: zoom/adjust photo in Photo, then do a screen grab, use screen grab.

9. julesgold macrumors regular

Go to your original image, resized to the size you want it, cut it if needed and then take a screenshot of the picture. Use the screenshot version of your picture as the wallpaper... It should work.

Ps- oops! Didn't see Nobomac's reply!