Wallpaper bug

applefan12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has experienced the following bug. And if so, if there is currently a fix.

When I try to set a high res image from my photos app as my wallpaper, the wallpaper looks like a lower resolution image. However, the original image on the photo app looks very high res. I have attached two images as an example.

I am on 8.0.2 and tried it with both perspective zoom off and on with the same results.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
is it because the image is too large?
No, i tested with multiple sizes. It saves it in sam sort of cache to speed up the lock screen but it saves both lower resolution with lower quality/ more compression. I think this is unacceptable. We should go back to non retine while we're at it

Ray777

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Happening with more people (if not everyone who has ios 8/8.0.2

I' noticed the same, straight after updating from ios 7 to 8.:(

I use always my own photo's (even very high-res imported from my Mac)
--They used to zoom in inside the 'set wallpaper setting' just fine on ios 7

but since ios 8 inside the 'set wallpaper setting' they always look pixelated when zooming in.
Yet inside photos app, or any album opening app, they all zoom in just fine pixel-perfect sharp.

--It's Happening with more people (if not everyone who is running ios 8/8.0.2)

I think we haven't heard it much yet, because it is not the first thing most people are looking at (trying to change)

Here are two links of people noticing the same bug.
from my own thread
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1782200/

and another forum
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6540122?start=0&tstart=0

I sure hope apple notices this as well, because it is a serious bug
Just think of all the people wanting to use a picture from vacation, or loved-one as a wallpaper.... they will look AWEFUL!:eek:

Saffy66

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
NSW, Australia
Just a thought - I have no idea what perspective zoom is, but does it make a difference if it's set to 'on' rather than 'off'? I just reset my wallpaper and mine always has PZ on. The pic is as clear as ever.

I'm on a 4S with 8.0.2.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Had similar "problem" in 7.

Work-around that worked for me: zoom/adjust photo in Photo, then do a screen grab, use screen grab.

julesgold

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
Go to your original image, resized to the size you want it, cut it if needed and then take a screenshot of the picture. Use the screenshot version of your picture as the wallpaper... It should work.

Ps- oops! Didn't see Nobomac's reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.