Wallpaper in Sub Folders?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tmoney468, Apr 7, 2008.

1. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I did a quick search and didn't find anything, but is there a way to have the System Pref's Desktop option display images from the folder you browse to, as well as its subfolders? In other words, when you're in Sys Prefs -> Desktop, you can browse to a folder that has your wallpaper. Well, some of my wallpaper are in subfolders, yet they don't show up when I select the parent folder.

Is there any way to have this so that it can see images in the folder I selected, as well as images in its subfolders? Thanks!

2. zaney macrumors regular

I'm not aware of any way of doing that.
    However if you just want to organise your wallpapers, you could always put them in iPhoto, tag them, create a smart album to collect them together, and then use that as the source for you wallpaper images. This is how I organise my wallpapers, and I have hundreds.
    Another thought that has just occured to me, I haven't tried this, is to create a smart folder (Cmd-Opt-N in finder), use that to collect all your wallpapers, and then use the smart folder as the source. I don't know if this will work though, I have not tried it.

3. tmoney468 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the ideas, both of which I never thought about. I'll give them a try once I have some free time and see how they work out.

Thanks!

4. zaney macrumors regular

No problem, hope one of them works out for you!

5. FinalCatch macrumors newbie

I was trying to do the same thing.

I was trying to do the same thing. Now using mountain lion. I thought of using smart folders myself but just tried it and it doesn't work. You can't select the smart folder it won't let you. I like to keep my images outside of the iPhoto, so I'm trying to think of a workaround, other than putting all of my photos in one huge folder that is.
    Any ideas appreciated.

6. Fred Leonard macrumors newbie

subfolders

You would think Apple would wake up. I just setup my MediaCenter PC with xUbuntu, and even it can do this.
    Why we have been waiting so many years for something so basic, I will never understand.
    I have tried ChangeDesktop, but it doesn't work correctly with multiple desktops, and they don't seem very anxious to ever fix that either.
    iPhoto doesn't work if you have multiple libraries, it only works for the active library, and since smart folders doesn't work, there really is, even after all these years, no solution.
    I was looking around again to see if anyone had come up with one yet when I found this post.
    Hopefully someone will come up with a little freeware app or something before the next decade.