Wallpaper settings not "sticking"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by markel253, Jan 16, 2014.

1. markel253 macrumors regular

I have a new 21.5 inch Late 2013 iMac which I have been using for a few days now - replacing the early 2009 iMac I had previously.

I have a directory of photos on an directly attached (USB) external drive that I used as my rotating wallpaper on the previous computer. I set the new one to use that directory and to rotate every 30 minutes. Once set it works as you would expect.

However, when the computer is turned off and then turned back on, it reverts to the default wallpaper (the one it was using when first taken out of the box) and I have to reset it to my desired location and settings.

I had no problem on the old iMac. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on this?

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Move said pictures to your main HD? It's likely the process that allocates the wallpaper is run before the USB drive is mounted and so when it can't find the location it reverts to default.

Does the same thing happen when the machine wakes from sleep? I only ask because there's seldom any reason to switch an iMac off these days.

3. markel253 thread starter macrumors regular

I will try what you suggest - it seems to make sense.

When the computer wakes, it does retain the setting, as you would expect in your scenario. And yes, I very rarely do turn the computer off, but when some new software is installed, there are times that a reboot is necessary.

Thanks - I will give it a try and report back if that did the job. :)

4. markel253 thread starter macrumors regular