Wallstreet Power Adapter

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mattcb, Dec 16, 2015.

1. mattcb macrumors newbie

mattcb

First post!

Anyway, I recently bought a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet. I am now looking for a power adapter. The last two were too small (even though it said they would fit and one was even made by Apple). Anyone have a link to one (preferably on eBay or Amazon) that they know for sure would fit this computer? Or does anyone know the part number?

Thanks in advance

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

These can use the same "hockey puck" charger as the Clamshell iBook, although tread carefully as this style charger was also made in the later, small plug version that would fit all Powerbook/iBook G4s and white iBook G3s.

I don't have p/ns handy for this, however the easiest way to hunt one down may be to search for a "clamshell charger" or something to that effect on Ebay.

Although not an absolute rule, it's been my experience that aftermarket chargers for PB G3s/Clamshells are often black while the ones for later computers are often white.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Welcome to the PowerPC section of MacRumors!

4. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Arguably the best of the lot.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

THIS is the power adapter that came with the Wallstreet, but THIS one also works and is more common. The first M4402 was actually recalled at one point, but I've got a couple and never had one burn my house down lol. The 2nd is the yoyo style adapter that came with the later PowerBooks and the clamshell iBooks.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

Any 45W charger with the 9.5mm barrel will do. They should all output 24V at 1.87A. The most common model you will find is the rather ugly M4896 below

$T2eC16VHJHgFFl-7tVUuBRjPfjD(iw~~60_35.JPG

7. mattcb thread starter macrumors newbie

mattcb

Thanks to everyone who helped! I'll be sure to look at a few of these. The hockey pick one seems the most interesting.

8. mattcb thread starter macrumors newbie

mattcb

After about 6 months I'm back with a reply.
    Apparently the hockey puck charger did not fit the G3. At this point I have some doubts about the other one. I have uploaded both a picture of the port and me trying to plug the charger into the port.

Attached Files:

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

There are two versions of the "puck" charger. One has the large barrel jack that will fit your computer, and the other a small powerjack that will fit Powerbook G4s and "white" iBooks. I think the(small plug) Pucks shipped with first generation or so of Titanium PBs and white iBook G3s.

The large diameter puck will work all the way back to the Powerbook 3400(or maybe earlier-that's just the oldest I have to test).

These aren't hard and fast rules, but I find that the large diameter pucks usually have the plug encased in completely translucent plastic that matches the rest of the cord, while the smaller version usually has a piece of black plastic on it like the one you pictured.

If in doubt, ask for the jack diameter. If it's 9.5mm, it should work. If it's smaller, it won't.

10. mattcb thread starter macrumors newbie

mattcb

Ok so I bought the wrong charger. Anyway, so if I buy the M4896, which I think is the one that came with the Wallstreet, it will fit?

11. weckart macrumors 68040

A bit late now, but just in case you come across another for sale cheaply, this is the yoyo charger that works with your Wallstreet. Note that the barrel on the jack is noticeably thicker than on the version you bought and has a spur on the side, which wedges between the yoyo plates so that the jack can sit tightly once wound. Additionally, the flex goes into the jack at a slight angle rather than straight through the base.

apple.jpg