MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple hasn't provided release date information for the new 10.9-inch iPad Air, but Walmart this afternoon began accepting preorders for some models.

Stock is limited, but Walmart is offering the space gray and rose gold models for preorder. According to Walmart, iPad Air purchases will ship out on Friday, October 23.

appleipadairpreorder.jpg

Friday, October 23 is also the release date that was temporarily listed by Best Buy's Canadian site site before it was updated to say "coming soon."

Walmart's preorders are another indication that the iPad Air is meant to be released on October 23, though it's not yet clear why Apple hasn't updated its site with the release date information.

walmartipadpreorderreleasedate.jpg

If the October 23 release date for the iPad Air is accurate, we could perhaps see preorders from Apple on Friday alongside the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro.

The fourth-generation ‌iPad‌ Air models feature an edge-to-edge display, a Touch ID power button, and the same A14 chip that's in the new iPhones, with pricing that starts at $599. Walmart is, however, offering a $40 discount.

Update: Walmart's pre-order stock of the new iPad Air models appears to have sold out.

Article Link: Walmart Accepting Pre-Orders for New iPad Air, Release Date Listed as October 23 [Update: Out of Stock]

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Oct 1, 2007
$40 off from them aint too shabby
[automerge]1602803221[/automerge]
Waiting for the usuals trashing Walmart when at the end of the day once you get your Apple product at home it doesn't matter where it was purchased from as long as it was from an Apple authorized seller.

especially if you dont have to go into a Walmart

Comment

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Does anybody actually care about the Air,..when the new Pro is literally only near 3 months away?
Gurl, you’d be amazed. The vast majority of people don’t care about Pro features. They just care for what looks cool and has the lowest price point. This model will most likely outsell the Pro for years to come.

Comment

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
"though it's not yet clear why Apple hasn't updated its site with the release date information."

It's a lie? Walmart and others noting "pre-orders' may find out the hard way if it's not concrete evidence..

Plus users would be angry as well if they can't get it :p

Comment

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Does anybody actually care about the Air,..when the new Pro is literally only near 3 months away?
Some people see barely any difference between the air and pro, and they can get it for $200 cheaper. I mean what will be different, Face ID and a new display technology? Not worth the extra $200 for me, even with Lidar

Comment

The Cappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
You really have to ask a question whose answer is obviously yes? For one thing, buying an Air now means you don't have to wait 3 months to get fingerprint recognition again. For another, make that 5 months, since the event is generally No earlier than March when it happens at all. And sometimes it happens later than March. For a third, the Pro models don't tend to get the fun colors. So if you like the blue or the green, it's probably going to be the Air. Even in the iPhone, when they put color in a pro model, they can't bear to make it fun. You have to be serious to own a pro, after all, and serious people don't want frivolities like color.

Comment

Graham King

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Oakland, CA
Anyone been to a Walmart lately? Yikes! I only went to return something I bought online. As soon as I stepped in the door I turned around and left and decided I’d rather keep that 💩.

• Haha
Reactions: Icaras
Comment

one more

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

Some people obviously do, as it is sold out. 😉 Besides, we might not see the new Pros until March, which is more like 6 months away. And considering that the new Pros will definitely be more expensive than Air 4... There might be quite a few people interested actually.

Comment

pearvsapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2012
I’m surprised people still bother with iPads. Until Arm-based MacOS scales down to mobile devices, it’ll continue to remain merely as a large screen iPhone!

Comment

Laptopdog78

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2014
Unfortunately the entire store says that, even if you go to buy an existing iPad. Hopefully the Air is in the release at 1pm UK, but I was fooled by that message too.
No it doesn’t, if I click in the new iPad 8 or iPad mini it takes me to the buy section.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.